Bridge opening delayed till spring
For three winters, motorists have had to navigate around the shuttered bridge spanning the Monongahela River between Charleroi and Monessen.
That detour will be necessary one more winter.
The Pennsylvania Department of Transportation acknowledged Friday that the John K. Tener Bridge won't be ready for traffic until spring. The former Charleroi-Monessen Bridge will be renamed for Tener when the rehabilitated span reopens.
PennDOT had hoped to have the bridge ready by year's end, but some painting work would have extended into 2013 regardless.
PennDOT District 12 spokeswoman Valerie Petersen said officials have made a decision not to push for the late December goal.
“We're not going to make the end of the year,” Petersen said. “It was always mentioned that was a concern unless we could accelerate the project.”
Earlier this year, the project was delayed a few weeks because of problems with steel erection. But the change is a result of several factors, Petersen said.
“It was not just one issue,” she said. “There were a lot of things.”
Built in 1906, the bridge was rehabilitated shortly after World War II and again in 1986.
The National Historic Preservation Act requires federal agencies to take into account the effects that federally funded activities and programs have on significant historic properties. “Significant historic properties” are those included in, or eligible for, the National Register of Historic Places.
The Charleroi-Monessen Bridge is listed on the register because of its design as a Pennsylvania Petit truss bridge, a variant of truss bridges built in the U.S. from the 1870s well into the mid-20th century.
The Charleroi Area Historical Society has touted the bridge's historic significance because it was built by the Mercantile Bridge Co., of which Tener was president.
Tener eventually became governor of Pennsylvania.
State officials, including then-state Sen. J. Barry Stout, D-Bentleyville, claimed the bridge project was delayed about nine months while a letter of memorandum of agreement for the proposal to repair or replace the Charleroi-Monessen span was developed among historic officials and PennDOT.
Construction on the $26.1 million bridge project began in late 2010.
Construction in 2011 involved building footers for the bridge. The deck of the old bridge was imploded in July 2011 to make room for the new span.
Chris Buckley is a staff writer for Trib Total Media. He can be reached at 724-684-2642 or firstname.lastname@example.org.
Show commenting policy
TribLive commenting policy
You are solely responsible for your comments and by using TribLive.com you agree to our Terms of Service.
We moderate comments. Our goal is to provide substantive commentary for a general readership. By screening submissions, we provide a space where readers can share intelligent and informed commentary that enhances the quality of our news and information.
While most comments will be posted if they are on-topic and not abusive, moderating decisions are subjective. We will make them as carefully and consistently as we can. Because of the volume of reader comments, we cannot review individual moderation decisions with readers.
We value thoughtful comments representing a range of views that make their point quickly and politely. We make an effort to protect discussions from repeated comments either by the same reader or different readers.
We follow the same standards for taste as the daily newspaper. A few things we won't tolerate: personal attacks, obscenity, vulgarity, profanity (including expletives and letters followed by dashes), commercial promotion, impersonations, incoherence, proselytizing and SHOUTING. Don't include URLs to Web sites.
We do not edit comments. They are either approved or deleted. We reserve the right to edit a comment that is quoted or excerpted in an article. In this case, we may fix spelling and punctuation.
We welcome strong opinions and criticism of our work, but we don't want comments to become bogged down with discussions of our policies and we will moderate accordingly.
We appreciate it when readers and people quoted in articles or blog posts point out errors of fact or emphasis and will investigate all assertions. But these suggestions should be sent via e-mail. To avoid distracting other readers, we won't publish comments that suggest a correction. Instead, corrections will be made in a blog post or in an article.
- Monessen residents angry about blight
- Donora police sued in mistaken ID case
- Probation sought in sex-texting case
- NBV man charged with making threatening calls to borough police
- In-house busing aids Belle Vernon Area
- Fleming, 17, restoring Forward cemetery for Eagle Scout rank
- Monessen police, family looking for 17-year-old girl
- Goldfish sparks alleged assault by Carroll man
- Students from Forward’s William Penn Elementary write ‘letter to me’
- Dodd running for second seat on Ringgold School Board
- Monessen fighter puts in knockout performance in ‘Southpaw’