TribLIVE

| Neighborhoods

 
Larger text Larger text Smaller text Smaller text | Order Photo Reprints

Rostraver family, pets escape fire unharmed

Rostraver Central and No. 1 (Webster) responded to a blaze at 547 Fayette Ave. in Rostraver Township around 6 p.m. Wednesday, Jan. 2, 2013.

Email Newsletters

Click here to sign up for one of our email newsletters.

Daily Photo Galleries

'American Coyotes' Series

Traveling by Jeep, boat and foot, Tribune-Review investigative reporter Carl Prine and photojournalist Justin Merriman covered nearly 2,000 miles over two months along the border with Mexico to report on coyotes — the human traffickers who bring illegal immigrants into the United States. Most are Americans working for money and/or drugs. This series reports how their operations have a major impact on life for residents and the environment along the border — and beyond.

Thursday, Jan. 3, 2013, 12:01 a.m.
 

Duane Law stood outside his 547 Fayette Ave. home watching firefighters extinguishing the remnants of the fire at his Rostraver Township residence.

He still had on his slippers, having earlier narrowly escaped a blaze that damaged a portion of his home.

Law said he and his wife, Jean, were talking in the bedroom around 6 p.m. Wednesday when they smelled smoke and traced it to the exhaust filter in the kitchen. The light was flickering.

“When I looked in there, the filter for the exhaust fan had melted already,” Law said.

Jean Law called 911 as the couple and their daughter, Melissa Bakosh, grabbed their cat and dog and got out of the house.

Duane Law said the insulation in the attic ignited. The Laws have lived at the residence for the past eight years.

Heather Sphar lives behind the Laws.

“We saw the flames shooting out the back vent so we came to see if everyone was OK,” Sphar said. “I brought them blankets and coats.”

Firefighters from North Belle Vernon, Sutersville and Rostraver Township battled the sub-freezing temperatures as well as the blaze. The fire was contained to the roof crawl space, although the house sustained water damage as well.

“I'm just glad everyone made it out safe,” Sphar said. “You can always redo a home, but you can't redo someone's life.”

Chris Buckley is a staff writer for Trib Total Media. He can be reached at 724-684-2642 or cbuckley@tribweb.com.

Subscribe today! Click here for our subscription offers.

 

 


Show commenting policy

Most-Read Mon Valley

  1. Monessen residents angry about blight
  2. North Belle Vernon man charged with making threatening calls to borough police
  3. Fleming, 17, restoring Forward cemetery for Eagle Scout rank
  4. Donora police sued in mistaken ID case
  5. In-house busing aids Belle  Vernon Area
  6. Probation sought in former Yough coach’s sex-texting case
  7. Monessen amphitheater brought back to life
  8. Ramp helps wheelchair users enjoy activities on waterway in Marianna
  9. House fire claims life of Monongahela man
  10. Students from Forward’s William Penn Elementary write ‘letter to me’
  11. This day in history follows familiar path to Mon Valley newsmakers