Monessen captures Charleroi Academic League championship
By The Valley Independent
Published: Monday, March 4, 2013, 12:01 a.m.
Updated: Monday, March 4, 2013
For the third time in four years, the Monessen academic team took varsity honors in the Charleroi Academic League.
Under the guidance of teacher Cinda Maxwell, the team comprises seniors Joey Germinario, Zachary Abrahamsen, and Joey Fuoco; and juniors Thomas Lucy; Nathanael Moon and Chase Neiberger.
The team was honored at the league's 23rd annual awards ceremony at Charleroi Area High School. Monessen's team won the varsity championship in 2010 and 2011. Last year's winner was Charleroi.
Academic league matches involve two teams, and students must be the first to “buzz in” to answer questions.
Individual student and team scores are tabulated over the season, bringing added competition.
The league also includes teams from Bentworth, Bethlehem-Center, California Area, Charleroi Area, Frazier, and Washington high schools.
Frazier's varsity team came in second, followed by Washington in third. This year's top varsity league scorer was California's Kimberly Sears.
A junior, she had 126 points.
Thanks to corporate sponsors, the league presents scholarships each year to top performers.
Seniors who score at least 75 points during a season are eligible for scholarships.
High-scoring seniors, coaches and the quizmaster vote on the awards.
This year's $2,000, first place scholarship winner was Frazier's Ryan Maurer.
Bentworth's Erin Ritzer received the $1,000 second-place scholarship. California's Ben Thomas placed third, followed by Bentworth's Nick Anderson in fourth. Each received $500 scholarships.
Maurer also received $350 from Frazier community sponsors.
This year's junior varsity team winners were Frazier, first place, followed by Charleroi in second and Washington's Team 1 taking third place.
Top junior varsity scorers were Monessen's Zach Picciarelli, a sophomore, and Dan Babyak, of Frazier.
They both had 108 points.
The Charleroi Academic League and its scholarships are sponsored by the following: Charleroi Federal Savings Bank, Valley Tire Company, Froggy Radio 94.9, Highway Appliance Co., Mon Valley Signs, Mon Valley Regional Chamber of Commerce, Model Cleaners, The Valley Independent, McDonalds of Charleroi and Bentleyville, and Lee Supply.
On behalf of the Frazier School District, the following were sponsors: Universal Ready Mix, Ricker's, OSPTA, Richard Kasunic campaign committee, Veterans of Foreign Wars, Perry Township Gold Star Post 7023.
- Golf outing will boost Cal U scholarship fund
- Change in travel plans determined fate of Donora couple who died in 1934
- Radiology technician Varega receives Mon Valley Hospital’s Protin Award
- Mid-Mon Valley communities schedule Memorial Day events
- Elizabeth Forward-grad, W&J grappler lands academic honor after All-American season
- School bomb threats precede stick-up at Bentleyville bank
- Donora physician, wife were victims of disaster
- Cieply dedicating his career to cancer research
- Belle Vernon’s Carol Aten Frow finalist for state Teacher of the Year honor
- Iacoboni, Egros win Democratic nods for Rostraver commissioner race
- Monongahela Valley Hospital reaches out to first responders
You must be signed in to add comments
To comment, click the Sign in or sign up at the very top of this page.
Subscribe today! Click here for our subscription offers.