Vasquez scores TKO in Las Vegas
Monessen native Sammy Vasquez Jr. is poised to make a giant leap in his young professional boxing career.
The lefty welterweight made short work of the more-experienced Leandro Albornoz on Saturday night, scoring a second-round technical knockout at the Hard Rock Hotel and Casino in Las Vegas.
The victory occurred in front of representatives from Golden Boy Promotions Inc., a boxing promotion headed by former world champion Oscar De La Hoya.
Vasquez's manager and father, Sam Vasquez Sr. said he expected to get a phone call from the promotion on Monday. On Saturday, Vasquez Sr. spoke with Roberto Diaz of Golden Boy Promotions.
“Getting that shot to fight in front of them was everything,” Vasquez Sr. said. “They said he couldn't have had a better audition.”
Vasquez Jr. was resting Sunday and unavailable for comment.
Albornoz came into the bout with just two losses in 19 professional fights, including two 10-round fights. But Vasquez (7-0, 5 KOs) secured the biggest knockdown of his career by dropping the Fort Lauderdale boxer with a left jab in Round 2.
Albornoz got to his feet before the 10-count, but Vasquez pummeled him with a flurry of punches, sending his opponent into the ropes before referee Jay Nady stopped the fight at 2:17.
Vasquez Sr. had expressed concerns last week after the promoter switched opponents on his son just three days before the fight, but the younger Vasquez seemed unfazed.
“They loved him and everything about he handled that situation,” Vasquez Sr. said. “They told me he had everything they were looking for like how he holds himself. He's not a cocky kid. He went in there like a seasoned veteran.”
Anyone wanting to see Vasquez Jr. fight locally won't have to wait very long.
Even if he gets signed by Golden Boy, Vasquez Jr. will headline a card, promoted by Team Vasquez Promotions, on March 30 at the Court Time Sports Complex in Elizabeth Township. His opponent is yet to be determined.
“He'll be training back here for the entire month of March,” Vasquez Sr. said.
“Ultimately, I'd like to bring him back here for at least one fight a year because our (local) fan base is just incredible.”
Rick Bruni Jr. is a staff writer for Trib Total Media. He can be reached at email@example.com or 724-684-2635.
Show commenting policy
TribLive commenting policy
You are solely responsible for your comments and by using TribLive.com you agree to our Terms of Service.
We moderate comments. Our goal is to provide substantive commentary for a general readership. By screening submissions, we provide a space where readers can share intelligent and informed commentary that enhances the quality of our news and information.
While most comments will be posted if they are on-topic and not abusive, moderating decisions are subjective. We will make them as carefully and consistently as we can. Because of the volume of reader comments, we cannot review individual moderation decisions with readers.
We value thoughtful comments representing a range of views that make their point quickly and politely. We make an effort to protect discussions from repeated comments either by the same reader or different readers.
We follow the same standards for taste as the daily newspaper. A few things we won't tolerate: personal attacks, obscenity, vulgarity, profanity (including expletives and letters followed by dashes), commercial promotion, impersonations, incoherence, proselytizing and SHOUTING. Don't include URLs to Web sites.
We do not edit comments. They are either approved or deleted. We reserve the right to edit a comment that is quoted or excerpted in an article. In this case, we may fix spelling and punctuation.
We welcome strong opinions and criticism of our work, but we don't want comments to become bogged down with discussions of our policies and we will moderate accordingly.
We appreciate it when readers and people quoted in articles or blog posts point out errors of fact or emphasis and will investigate all assertions. But these suggestions should be sent via e-mail. To avoid distracting other readers, we won't publish comments that suggest a correction. Instead, corrections will be made in a blog post or in an article.
- Convicted drug dealer faces new narcotics trial
- Monessen man facing trial for resisting arrest
- Mon Valley Progress Council looks for business-friendly ideas
- Donora demolishing former Fifth Street School
- North Charleroi’s ‘Toast To Our Stars Club’ claims long legacy of pride
- Mon Valley Progress Council planning to mark 50th anniversary
- Charleroi Area ready to boost security
- Mid Mon Valley Hall of Fame honors 7 in 2015 class
- Women facing different issues about retirement
- Donora-Webster bridge demolition delayed
- Cops nab Donora assault suspect