Police: Driver hit trooper with truck in Bentleyville
By Jeremy Sellew
Published: Friday, April 5, 2013, 12:11 a.m.
A Fredericktown motorist faces numerous charges after his vehicle allegedly struck a state trooper directing traffic on South Main Street in Bentleyville 6 p.m. Wednesday.
Arnold J. Frankie, 62, of 165 Barney's Run Road, was charged with three counts of aggravated assault and single counts of simple assault, recklessly endangering another person, resisting arrest or other law enforcement, fleeing or attempting to elude a police officer, obedience to authorized persons directing traffic, careless driving, and reckless driving.
Trooper Heather Gonglik, of the Belle Vernon Barracks, was dispatched to Bentleyville after Southwest Regional Police requested assistance at an accident scene.
Police said Frankie – approaching the scene driving south in his 2012 Ford F-250 – was ordered to stop but failed to immediately do so. When Frankie eventually stopped, Gonglik approached the driver's side of the vehicle. After talking with the trooper for a short time, Frankie began to drive away, ignoring commands to stop, according to a police report.
In doing so, Frankie's vehicle allegedly struck Gonglik, knocking her to the ground.
Gonglik pursued Frankie in her patrol car for just over half a mile before the suspect stopped.
Frankie was taken into custody without incident, police said.
Frankie was arraigned before Centerville-based Magisterial District Judge Joshua Kanalis and placed in the Washington County Correctional Facility in lieu of $150,000 bond.
Gonglik was treated at an area hospital for “minor to moderate” injuries and later released, police said.
Jeremy Sellew is a staff writer for Trib Total Media. He can be reached at firstname.lastname@example.org or 724-684-2667.
Show commenting policy
TribLive commenting policy
- Shots fired, Monessen house hit on S. 14th St.
- Wanted man nearly hits cops
- Mortgages demand serious thought
- Greater Washington Food Bank gets new boss
- Trial ordered in Charleroi child pornography case
- Charleroi Regional makes 3 drug arrests
- Local runners set for Boston
- Charleroi robbery suspect facing trial
- Smoke evacuates Rostraver Kmart
- Belle Vernon, Ringgold coaching carousel continues
- Grant helps Belle Vernon teacher build collection of Civil War artifacts