Mom's lessons always timely
(Editor's Note: Ron Paglia is away from his desk. This column, which originally ran May 11, 2006, is presented again by request.)
Search the Internet and you will find no less than 10 web sites with the “Things My Mother Taught Me” title.
No doubt there are others, but the ones I found are by Austin Repath, WALDSFE, Bert Christensen's Truth and Humour Collection, Mitzi Bryant, Homilies by Mail, Harry Gluckman, Jests & Jokes, This Fun's for You, Doctor Dialtone and Parenting Village.
The actual/original author of “Things My Mother Taught Me” seems to be unknown, as is the case with many things that appear on the Internet. If anyone has a more definitive answer, please let me know so I can give credit to the right person.
With all of that said and because Mother's Day is only three days away, I thought you might enjoy these always timely thoughts as they appear on the web sites.
1. My mother taught me to appreciate a job well done. “If you're going to kill each other, do it outside. I just finished cleaning.”
2. My mother taught me religion. “You better pray that stain will come out of the carpet.”
3. My mother taught me about time travel. “If you don't straighten up, I'm going to knock you into the middle of next week!”
4. My mother taught me logic. “Because I said so, that's why.”
5. My mother taught me more logic. “If you fall out of that swing and break your neck, you're not going to the store with me.”
6. My mother taught me foresight. “Make sure you wear clean underwear, in case you're in an accident.”
7. My mother taught me irony. “Keep crying, and I'll give you something to cry about.”
8. My mother taught me about the science of osmosis. “Shut your mouth and eat your supper.”
9. My mother taught me about contortionism. “Will you look at that dirt on the back of your neck!”
10. My mother taught me about stamina. “You'll sit there until all that spinach is gone.”
11. My mother taught me about weather. “This room of yours looks as if a tornado went through it.”
12. My mother taught me about hypocrisy. “If I told you once, I've told you a million times. Don't exaggerate!”
13. My mother taught me the Circle of Life. “I brought you into this world, and I can take you out.”
14. My mother taught me about behavior modification. “Stop acting like your father!”
15. My mother taught me about envy. “There are millions of less fortunate children in this world who don't have wonderful parents like you do.”
16. My mother taught me about anticipation. “Just wait until we get home.”
17. My mother taught me about receiving. “You are going to get it when you get home!”
18. My mother taught me medical science. “If you don't stop crossing your eyes, they are going to freeze that way.”
19. My mother taught me ESP. “Put your sweater on; don't you think I know when you are cold?”
20. My mother taught me humor. “When that lawn mower cuts off your toes, don't come running to me.”
21. My mother taught me how to become an adult. “If you don't eat your vegetables, you'll never grow up.”
22. My mother taught me genetics. “You're just like your father.”
23. My mother taught me about my roots. “Shut that door behind you. Do you think you were born in a barn?”
24. My mother taught me wisdom. “When you get to be my age, you'll understand.”
25. And my favorite: My mother taught me about justice. “One day you'll have kids, and I hope they turn out just like you!”
Don't forget to thank your mother on Sunday for all the things she taught you.
And give her a hug and a kiss and tell how much you love her. You know she taught you about true love.
I wish I could follow my own advice, but my mother, Iole G. Paglia, died on Dec. 12, 2010. She was 91 and her life with was filled with love. I miss her more every day.
If you have memories to share or a story idea, contact Ron Paglia at email@example.com or c/o The Valley Independent, Eastgate 19, Monessen, PA 15062.
Show commenting policy
TribLive commenting policy
You are solely responsible for your comments and by using TribLive.com you agree to our Terms of Service.
We moderate comments. Our goal is to provide substantive commentary for a general readership. By screening submissions, we provide a space where readers can share intelligent and informed commentary that enhances the quality of our news and information.
While most comments will be posted if they are on-topic and not abusive, moderating decisions are subjective. We will make them as carefully and consistently as we can. Because of the volume of reader comments, we cannot review individual moderation decisions with readers.
We value thoughtful comments representing a range of views that make their point quickly and politely. We make an effort to protect discussions from repeated comments either by the same reader or different readers.
We follow the same standards for taste as the daily newspaper. A few things we won't tolerate: personal attacks, obscenity, vulgarity, profanity (including expletives and letters followed by dashes), commercial promotion, impersonations, incoherence, proselytizing and SHOUTING. Don't include URLs to Web sites.
We do not edit comments. They are either approved or deleted. We reserve the right to edit a comment that is quoted or excerpted in an article. In this case, we may fix spelling and punctuation.
We welcome strong opinions and criticism of our work, but we don't want comments to become bogged down with discussions of our policies and we will moderate accordingly.
We appreciate it when readers and people quoted in articles or blog posts point out errors of fact or emphasis and will investigate all assertions. But these suggestions should be sent via e-mail. To avoid distracting other readers, we won't publish comments that suggest a correction. Instead, corrections will be made in a blog post or in an article.
- Toprani out to stay on Ringgold board
- Belle Vernon Area turf ready to go
- Donora handbag dispute sparks fight
- North Charleroi man’s child sex case continued
- Retired Monessen mail carrier, veteran, 97, still loves to travel the world
- Committee planning BVA anniversary celebration
- Cops: Charleroi man found dead in Carroll bathroom
- Bentleyville man accused in stabbing
- Two Cal U students charged in altercation
- History abounds at site of Maple Creek Distributing
- Fayette man charged in child sex case