Charleroi Regional Police force gets grant
Now in its second year, the Charleroi Regional Police force has been recognized for its efforts.
The department, which serves Charleroi, North Charleroi and Speers, continues to receive public support.
At a Charleroi council meeting Thursday, Mayor Nancy Ellis said the force has been twice honored lately.
It received an award from state Sen. Timothy Solobay, D-Canonsburg, and state Rep. Peter J. Daley, D-California, recognizing the department's formation in April 2012.
Ellis along with Speers Mayor Bill Lee received the annual Frank Irey Joined in Progress Award for working to establish the regional department.
It was the first such award for intergovernmental cooperation efforts presented by the Mon Valley Progress Council.
Ellis said the borough has been notified of a $23,038.20 federal grant for the regional force. It is the second of three years for the grant, which is provided through the American Recovery and Reinvestment Act.
The grant provides money for the police chief's salary, Ellis said.
Ellis said nine candidates are undergoing a civil service examination process as the regional force prepares to hire another full-time officer.
Councilman Paul Pivovarnik said that in the coming weeks, council will begin working on a budget for the regional force.
He said the most difficult task will be determining the financial contribution levels for the three member communities.
In other business, council:
• Approved a request by the Mid Mon Valley Transit Authority to eliminate parking on McKean Avenue near the authority's office so a bus pull-in lane can be established.
• Authorized the solicitor to prepare an ordinance concerning furniture on porches.
• Rejected bids – claiming they were too low – for a borough car and street department truck being sold. Council agreed to seek new bids.
• Approved establishment of a handicap-accessible parking space at 306 Lincoln Ave.
• Agreed to discuss at its next agenda meeting a process for annually reviewing handicap-assessible parking spots.
Chris Buckley is a staff writer for Trib Total Media. He can be reached at 724-684-2642 or email@example.com.
Show commenting policy
TribLive commenting policy
- Trick-or-treat times set for Mon Valley
- North Belle Vernon woman honors son’s legacy of caring, strength
- Mon Valley towns hosting annual Halloween parades
- Retired U.S. Marine general key speaker
- Raptor system helps to protect Ringgold students
- Monessen pressed on sewage project
- Parking, traffic issues discussed in N. Charleroi
- Veteran from Brownsville gets proper miliary burial
- Monessen police break up fight
- Questions remain in fatal Union accident
- Charleroi football player turns tragedy into triumph