Lignelli calls out Donora council candidate for flier
With the primary election days away, Donora Mayor John Lignelli was hot Thursday at a borough council meeting.
The longtime mayor has no opponent for the Democratic Party mayoral nomination, but Lignelli took to the stump to challenge claims in a flier distributed in town by council candidate Jimmie Coulter.
In the document – which Lignelli made available to residents at the meeting – Coulter referred to purported “inaction by our present council.”
“I will challenge him on every item on this paper,” bellowed Lignelli, who said he considers himself to be a part of council. “I'll debate this gentleman ... I'd be glad to do it.”
In other business, Lignelli announced that he spoke with officials from Fayette Waste LLC, the borough's waste hauler, about collecting old electronic items such as televisions, that are not permitted in landfills.
“We're having a problem now that the law has passed not allowing TV's in the landfills,” Lignelli said. “We've had to have the police speak to residents about removing them from the curbs after the collectors don't pick them up. I don't want to have kids throwing bricks through the glass and causing more of a problem.”
As a result of his conversation, Lignelli announced that from 9 a.m. to noon May 25, residents can take items to Dyno-Nobel at the north end of the Middle Monongahela Industrial Development Association, Donora Industrial Park to be collected by Fayette Waste.
Council also issued the following announcements:
• The sixth annual Joseph L. Perrotta Celebrity Golf Outing will be held July 13 at Cedarbrook Golf Course in Rostraver Township. For additional information, contact Casey Perrotta at 724-350-7393 or Rich Perrotta at 724-379-4443.
• The A.P. Delsandro Golf Tournament will be held at Chippewa Golf Course in Bentleyville. Additional information can be obtained by contacting Paul Delsandro at 724-379-4567, Ron Delsandro at 724-379-4174, or Tom Delsandro at 724-379-5839.
• There are vacancies on the Donora Zoning Board of Appeals and the Civic Center Authority board. Any borough resident interested must submit a letter of intent to council to be considered for either board seat.
• Applications are being accepted for a full-time driver/laborer at the Donora street department. All interested parties may obtain an application at the administration offices from 8:30 a.m. to 4:30 p.m. Monday through Friday.
• Applications are being accepted for a temporary part-time office secretary position. Salary is negotiable and commensurate with experience. Applications are available at the administration office.
Council approved the following motions:
• The reappointment of Frank Weir and Dr. Thomas Williams to four-year terms on the Donora Planning Commission.
• The purchase of 50 Duralite folding tables and 75 folding chairs from Corbett Inc. for $14,472. They will be used at the social hall at the municipal building.
• The purchase of a 2010 Farmtrac 70, 60 horsepower tractor from Quarrick Equipment and Auctions of Uniontown for $7,500.
Jeremy Sellew is a staff writer for Trib Total Media. He can be reached at firstname.lastname@example.org or 724-684-2667.