Charleroi Area School Board hires secretary
While preparing to pass its final 2013-2014 budget next week, the Charleroi Area School Board made sure someone will be recording its actions and organizing its agenda.
The board during Tuesday's agenda meeting unanimously hired Rebecca Kline as its new secretary, filling a position that had been vacant since January when Susan Benning resigned over health issues, according to board president Ken Wiltz.
One of seven finalists, Kline, a Fayette City resident, will begin in July at a $30,000 annual salary and work at the administration center under Superintendent Dr. Brad Ferko.
For most of 2013, secretarial duties have been taken on by several others, including business manager Crystal Zahand.
“It was sort of a team effort… we just got to the point where we needed someone here keeping us in compliance with the state,” Wiltz said. “There was just a lot of paperwork piling up and we were getting behind.”
Meanwhile, the board prepared for its regular meeting June 27, when it will approve a budget and start on a revised transportation policy. The key change to the latter states that bus drivers and employees of contracted transportation providers must provide “immediate” notifications for criminal charges or convictions.
Wiltz acknowledged a previous incident that spurred the change, but declined to elaborate because it was a personnel issue.
“Let's say they had a DUI conviction and they didn't report it until we found out a year later they had one,” Wiltz said, when asked for an example. “We're just trying to cover ourselves by adding the word ‘immediately' and throw the onus on them and if they don't (oblige) then obviously they would be subject to dismissal.”
The board is also expected to hire four teachers next week, two for the middle school and one each for the elementary and high schools. The budget, with revenue and expenditures expected to balance out at $20,486,302, will not require a millage increase in the district.
Rick Bruni Jr. is a staff writer for Trib Total Media. He can be reached at email@example.com or 724-684-2635.
Show commenting policy
TribLive commenting policy
- N. Belle Vernon man allegedly assaulted girlfriend, spit at cop
- Roaches troubling to Donora residents
- Carroll pair to stand trial for check theft charges
- Charleroi deals with more road problems
- Rostraver garbage collection vote delayed
- New EMV debit/credit cards arriving in Mon Valley
- Most serious charge dropped in Monongahela man’s drug case involving girl, 14
- Charleroi contractor charged for bad business
- Charleroi teachers raise funds to feed hungry schoolchildren
- Perryopolis cops, Frazier officials probe alleged student gun threat
- Mon Valley youth programs benefit from Barbero auction