Burglary probe lands Charleroi man in jail
A Charleroi man faces numerous charges stemming from a string of daylight burglaries.
Charleroi Regional police arrested Jared William Dalton, 20, of 1115 McKean Ave. on Tuesday following a two-month investigation into burglaries in Charleroi and North Charleroi.
In the break-ins, residences were entered through the ground floor – often by pushing in air conditioner units.
Dalton was arraigned Tuesday by Magisterial District Judge Larry Hopkins in Charleroi and placed in the Washington County Correctional Facility in lieu of $100,000 bond on each of seven criminal complaints.
Dalton faces a preliminary hearing 10:30 a.m. Sept. 30 before Hopkins.
In each of the cases, Dalton faces charges of burglary, theft by unlawful taking, receiving stolen property and criminal trespass.
Charleroi Regional Police Detective Eric Porter said police initially charged Dalton for a single burglary, but the charges were withdrawn after a witness failed to apprear for a hearing Aug. 12 before Hopkins.
“We don't have any evidence at this time that anyone else was involved,” Porter said of the burglaries.
“We still have a few (burglaries) out there that happened during the day, ground-level entry, that we haven't been able to tie him to yet.”
Porter said televisions, jewelry, electronics, laptop computers and firearms are among the items stolen.
Police said the case broke Aug. 1 after Eugenio Mendez of 915 McKean Ave. told police he confronted a male – later identified as Dalton – walking between Mendez's house and a neighbor's house carrying a blue suitcase. Police said that after a physical confrontation with Mendez, Dalton reportedly ran away, leaving the suitcase behind.
Police arrested Dalton a short time later and accused him of stealing the suitcase, a Kindle Fire, a digital camera, $50 in quarters and a floor safe from the residence at 913 McKean Ave.
On July 31, police identified Dalton as the man reportedly walking through yards and knocking on doors in the 900 block of Crest Avenue in Charleroi. Police were dispatched later that day for a burglary at 933 Crest Ave.
On Aug. 9, police executed a search warrant at Dalton's residence and allegedly recovered several items stolen during previous burglaries. Police allege Dalton pawned stolen jewelry at various Mid-Mon Valley shops, including a diamond pendant and gold cross taken from 603 Third St., Charleroi.
Dalton is charged in five other burglaries involving the following:
• A ruby ring, an emerald ring and emerald earrings, reportedly taken July 8 from 712 Liberty Ave., North Charleroi.
• A Weatherby .300-caliber Magnum rifle, reportedly taken July 28 from 703 11th St., Charleroi.
• A .22-caliber semi-automatic pistol with holster and a Samsung cellular phone, reportedly taken July 25 from 1022 Oakland Ave., Charleroi.
• Two gold wedding rings, reportedly taken July 14 from 823 Fallowfield Ave., Charleroi.
• A 42-inch Samsung television, reportedly taken June 15 from 1223 Prospect Ave., Charleroi.
Charleroi Regional charged Joelle Hepple, 30, of Charleroi with receiving stolen property. Police said she bought the television from Dalton and gave it to her landlord, James Hillen, as a security deposit.
Hillen told Charleroi Regional Officer Chad Zelinsky he thought the television had been stolen.
Police matched the serial number of the television with the one missing from Prospect Avenue.
An arrest warrant has been issued for Hepple, who had yet to be located Wednesday afternoon.
Rick Bruni Jr. is a staff writer for Trib Total Media. He can be reached at email@example.com or 724-684-2635.
Show commenting policy
TribLive commenting policy
You are solely responsible for your comments and by using TribLive.com you agree to our Terms of Service.
We moderate comments. Our goal is to provide substantive commentary for a general readership. By screening submissions, we provide a space where readers can share intelligent and informed commentary that enhances the quality of our news and information.
While most comments will be posted if they are on-topic and not abusive, moderating decisions are subjective. We will make them as carefully and consistently as we can. Because of the volume of reader comments, we cannot review individual moderation decisions with readers.
We value thoughtful comments representing a range of views that make their point quickly and politely. We make an effort to protect discussions from repeated comments either by the same reader or different readers.
We follow the same standards for taste as the daily newspaper. A few things we won't tolerate: personal attacks, obscenity, vulgarity, profanity (including expletives and letters followed by dashes), commercial promotion, impersonations, incoherence, proselytizing and SHOUTING. Don't include URLs to Web sites.
We do not edit comments. They are either approved or deleted. We reserve the right to edit a comment that is quoted or excerpted in an article. In this case, we may fix spelling and punctuation.
We welcome strong opinions and criticism of our work, but we don't want comments to become bogged down with discussions of our policies and we will moderate accordingly.
We appreciate it when readers and people quoted in articles or blog posts point out errors of fact or emphasis and will investigate all assertions. But these suggestions should be sent via e-mail. To avoid distracting other readers, we won't publish comments that suggest a correction. Instead, corrections will be made in a blog post or in an article.
- Many in Mon Valley made news as area prepared for past holidays
- Solomon Auto Group plans new Ford complex in Brownsville
- ‘Suspicious’ blaze in N. Belle Vernon puts cops on alert
- It’s time to take a serious look at investments
- Fallowfield man allegedly took baby to drug deal
- Brownsville museum a hidden gem
- Mon City man accused of stabbing girlfriend
- Donora woman wins state nursing award