Fire damages North Charleroi home
A family of five was displaced following a basement fire Sunday afternoon in their North Charleroi residence.
Lock Four fire Chief Bill Castner Jr. said the fire started around 1:30 p.m. in the rear basement of a duplex at 335 Pennsylvania Ave. occupied by two adults and three children.
A Red Cross spokeswoman confirmed the family was being provided with food and temporary shelter as of Sunday night. Castner could not identify the family.
Castner said the fire began inside the basement, and although a state police fire marshal had determined the cause, the investigation is ongoing. Charleroi Regional police were also called to the scene, Castner said.
Charleroi Regional police Chief Mike Maytas and state police fire marshal Steve Thompson did not return phone calls seeking comment on Sunday night.
Castner said firefighters from Lock Four and Charleroi were able to extinguish the blaze “within minutes,” although flames had spread to a pool table and up a wall into the basement ceiling.
The basement sustained heavy water damage while the first floor had moderate smoke damage, Castner said.
Lock Four, Charleroi, Fallowfield Township, Stockdale and Monessen Hilltop fire departments responded to the fire, as well as the Bentleyville Rapid Intervention Team.
Rick Bruni Jr. is a staff writer for Trib Total Media. He can be reached at 724-684-2635 or firstname.lastname@example.org.
Show commenting policy
TribLive commenting policy
- 3 hurt in Carroll crash
- North Belle Vernon gets tough on storm water
- Pawlick opens new company in Allenport
- Working toward retirement: Be proactive
- Monessen woman honored for service as church volunteer
- October is Domestic Violence Month
- What’s the quickest way to create a habit? Think tiny
- Water outage hits Washington Twp.
- Rostraver jeweler goes all out to beat breast cancer
- Monessen woman in court for fake prescription, drug charges
- Dawson funeral home director a fixture since 1946