TribLIVE

| Neighborhoods

 
Larger text Larger text Smaller text Smaller text | Order Photo Reprints

Uncapped basement gas well in Charleroi targeted

Email Newsletters

Click here to sign up for one of our email newsletters.

Daily Photo Galleries

'American Coyotes' Series

Traveling by Jeep, boat and foot, Tribune-Review investigative reporter Carl Prine and photojournalist Justin Merriman covered nearly 2,000 miles over two months along the border with Mexico to report on coyotes — the human traffickers who bring illegal immigrants into the United States. Most are Americans working for money and/or drugs. This series reports how their operations have a major impact on life for residents and the environment along the border — and beyond.

Saturday, Nov. 23, 2013, 12:01 a.m.
 

Brenda Kyle purchased a home at 920 Rear Fallowfield Ave. in Charleroi in the spring of 2012 and called the gas company for utility hookup.

But while doing a test, the meters detected gas in the basement. Gas company workers found a well located in the basement of the home, and a pipe from the well was visible.

Charleroi Borough Manager Donn Henderson said borough officials are unsure how long the uncapped well was in the home.

“We assume the well was put there 70 to 80 years ago since there are no records,” Henderson said.

The home had been vacant for a while before Kyle purchased it. She never occupied it. Instead, the borough issued a state of emergency for the property, Henderson said.

The state Department of Environmental Protection and the utility vented it. The borough acquired the property.

This week, state Rep. Pete Daley announced that a $147,000 grant was approved to plug the potentially dangerous gas well.

In a released statement, Daley said the well “must be plugged because of the health and safety dangers it poses to nearby homes.”

With the state funding, the condemned home will be razed before the well is plugged with concrete.

The grant is being issued through The Orphan & Abandoned Well Fund, created through the impact fees collected on oil and gas wells The house will be inspected for lead and asbestos before it can be razed.

When the borough receives the grant funding, it will immediately demolish the house, cap the well and build a fence around it. Reclamation of the property will also be completed.

Henderson said there is no danger to any other homes in the neighborhood.

“We believe it is properly vented and the DEP and gas company have been monitoring it,” Henderson said. “We all believe it is safe, but it's not something you want go unchecked.”

Chris Buckley is a staff writer for Trib Total Media. He can be reached at 724-684-2642 or cbuckley@tribweb.com.

Subscribe today! Click here for our subscription offers.

 

 


Show commenting policy

Most-Read Mon Valley

  1. 2 men nabbed in Donora drug sting
  2. N. Belle Vernon man jailed after police station visit
  3. Summer youth program in Donora bridges gap between young, old
  4. Watch out for computer scams, identifty theft
  5. Probation sought in former Yough coach’s sex-texting case
  6. Monessen residents angry about blight
  7. In-house busing aids Belle  Vernon Area
  8. Monessen fighter puts in knockout performance in ‘Southpaw’
  9. House fire claims life of Monongahela man
  10. North Belle Vernon man charged with making threatening calls to borough police
  11. Fleming, 17, restoring Forward cemetery for Eagle Scout rank