Litvany appointed to Rostraver commissioner seat
The Rostraver Township Board of Commissioners on Wednesday filled its vacant seat by appointing a longtime township firefighter and former postal carrier.
The board during a special meeting unanimously chose Gary Litvany to replace Don Bottman, who resigned Feb. 19 citing health issues.
Litvany is an active life member of the Collinsburg Volunteer Fire Department and retired last year after working 42 years out of the post office in West Newton.
Under borough code, the board had 30 days to name Bottman's replacement. According to township solicitor Al Gaudio, the lone qualification to apply is to be a registered voter of the township.
The board selected Litvany over seven other candidates, including former commissioner Nick Lorenzo, and three township firefighters: Rostraver Central officers Devin DeRienzo and Justin Shawley and Rostraver No. 1 assistant chief Rudy Godzak.
Lorenzo was the only past commissioner who applied. DeRienzo ran unsuccessfully in November for open seats won by current board president Pat Egros and first-year commissioner Ray Iacoboni.
Egros said he supported Litvany because he is retired and resides in a section of the township that has lacked representation. Egros called Litvany “down-to-earth” and “a new face that's unbiased and not politically involved.”
“A big part of this was to represent the Collinsburg area. It's been quite awhile since they had an actual resident of that part of the township (on the board),” Egros said. “With Gary retired, we felt he would have more time to provide to the township. ... He's going to tell you what he thinks and can provide an independent voice.”
Following the meeting, Commissioner Brian Sokol voiced his disapproval – not of Litvany's selection, but because the board did not conduct an interview process for the vacant seat.
Sokol said in his 19 years as a commissioner, two similar vacancies were filled and each time, the board formally met with each qualified candidate.
In October 2009, the board appointed former township commissioner George Martin to fill the seat of Ralph Iacoboni, who died from cancer while in office.
Ironically, the previous vacancy appointment involved Martin. The board appointed Bill Melilli in February 2005 shortly after Martin had resigned from office.
Sokol said although interviews are not required by the township, they provide a sense of legitimacy and common courtesy.
“I have the utmost respect for Gary, who has provided 45 years of service to the community and he's more than qualified,” Sokol said. “The problem I have is, in my history with the township, anytime there was a vacancy, there was an interview process. We did not give these candidates the opportunity to sit down with us and express their vision and what they wanted to accomplish. The fact we failed to follow that precedent, I feel, did a disservice to everyone who applied.”
When asked why the board chose to nix the interviews, Egros cited time constraints and prior knowledge of all eight candidates.
“That opportunity (to question candidates) was left to every commissioner individually. What we did was we got all the applicants in, distributed the information to every board member and gave them an email and instructions to contact any and all applicants,” Egros said.
“We were pressed for time. We kept getting applicants in … we got one in today and it wouldn't have been fair to him. And every applicant we got in, frankly, we're all familiar with.”
Egros said he hopes to have Litvany take his oath of office within the next two days.
Rick Bruni Jr. is a staff writer for Trib Total Media. He can be reached at email@example.com or 724-684-2635.
Show commenting policy
TribLive commenting policy
You are solely responsible for your comments and by using TribLive.com you agree to our Terms of Service.
We moderate comments. Our goal is to provide substantive commentary for a general readership. By screening submissions, we provide a space where readers can share intelligent and informed commentary that enhances the quality of our news and information.
While most comments will be posted if they are on-topic and not abusive, moderating decisions are subjective. We will make them as carefully and consistently as we can. Because of the volume of reader comments, we cannot review individual moderation decisions with readers.
We value thoughtful comments representing a range of views that make their point quickly and politely. We make an effort to protect discussions from repeated comments either by the same reader or different readers.
We follow the same standards for taste as the daily newspaper. A few things we won't tolerate: personal attacks, obscenity, vulgarity, profanity (including expletives and letters followed by dashes), commercial promotion, impersonations, incoherence, proselytizing and SHOUTING. Don't include URLs to Web sites.
We do not edit comments. They are either approved or deleted. We reserve the right to edit a comment that is quoted or excerpted in an article. In this case, we may fix spelling and punctuation.
We welcome strong opinions and criticism of our work, but we don't want comments to become bogged down with discussions of our policies and we will moderate accordingly.
We appreciate it when readers and people quoted in articles or blog posts point out errors of fact or emphasis and will investigate all assertions. But these suggestions should be sent via e-mail. To avoid distracting other readers, we won't publish comments that suggest a correction. Instead, corrections will be made in a blog post or in an article.
- Holiday movie gives Cal U students get 2 seconds of fame
- Mon Valley Leathernecks tackle Toys for Tots drive
- Recalling ‘White Friday’ storm that paralyzed Mid-Mon Valley in 1950
- Small Business Saturday events grow
- Recovery – it’s not just for addicts anymore
- Mon City man arrested for alleged assault
- Mon Valley Hose and Fitting opens
- Holiday shopping season off to early start in Mon Valley
- Holiday spirit alive & well in Mon Valley
- For some, pathway to Thanksgiving often bumpy
- 2 Monessen men ordered to stand trial in 2012 murder