Man arrested for North Belle Vernon assault
A homeless man accused of wielding a box cutter while tussling with two North Belle Vernon men earlier this month was arrested and sent to jail Monday.
North Belle Vernon police said that on March 4, Anthony David Gillingham, 26, broke into a secure apartment building at 523 Broad Ave. and tried pushing his way into an apartment belonging to Kinyarde Franklin.
The two scuffled until Gene Guidry came out in the hallway with a baseball bat because he knows Gillingham to be a dangerous person and possibly carry weapons, according to police.
When Franklin took the bat from Guidry, Gillingham allegedly took a box cutter out of his pocket, held it within an inch of Guidry's throat and told Franklin, “I could kill this dude, but I am not going to because I like him,” according to police.
Police said Guidry grabbed the box cutter and received a small cut on his hands. Gillingham then ran down the steps and out the back door. Franklin and Guidry both told police that Gillingham smelled of alcohol and several other witnesses stated they saw the incident and would be willing to testify against Gillingham, police said.
Police arrested Gillingham on Monday at the Budget Inn motel in Rostraver Township on the following charges: burglary, aggravated assault, criminal trespass, terroristic threats, four counts of simple assault, two counts of reckless endangerment, two counts of disorderly conduct, two counts of harassment and one count of public drunkenness.
Gillingham was arraigned before Magisterial District Judge Charles Christner of West Newton and sent to Westmoreland County Prison in lieu of $10,000 cash bond. His preliminary hearing is scheduled for March 24 in front of Christner.
Show commenting policy
TribLive commenting policy
- Cops nab 4 in Monessen drug hangout
- Former Charleroi Area teacher who stole from union sentenced
- St. Vincent de Paul store in Monessen still growing
- Police investigating Monessen fight
- Mount St. Macrina hosting annual pilgrimage
- Alleged Donora Towers burglar jailed
- MVH nurse celebrates 50 years of work, marriage
- Heroin suspected in overdose fatality of Fallowfield man, 21
- Mother, son share musical talent with Elizabeth Forward band students
- Traffic stop in Monessen yields drug charges
- Belle Vernon Area, teachers reach deal early Tuesday, avoid strike