Smoke evacuates Rostraver Kmart
An overheated rooftop HVAC unit forced Kmart in Rostraver Township to evacuate and temporarily close Monday afternoon.
Kmart managers Joyce Lahti and Rob Cummings said workers noticed a “haze” inside the store just after 4 p.m. and began evacuating approximately 30 customers and employees as a precaution.
Firefighters from Rostraver Central soon arrived and found the source of the smoke to be coming from atop the building, according to Rostraver Central assistant chief Justin Shawley.
Shawley said firefighters quickly disconnected electrical power to the heating, ventilation, and air-conditioning unit located toward the rear of the building. The unit never caught fire, Shawley said.
Cummings said he initially thought the light smoke was coming from the ceiling when firefighters were called, adding the evacuation was “prompt and orderly.”
Nearly an hour later, firefighters and employees waited outside for a ventilation truck to arrive from the Westmoreland City volunteer fire department.
The large apparatus is able to ventilate large buildings when the normal fans used for homes and other smaller structures do not suffice, Shawley said.
Lahti said the store was to continue operations Monday evening after the ventilation was complete.
Rick Bruni Jr. is a staff writer for Trib Total Media. He can be reached at firstname.lastname@example.org or 724-684-2635.
Show commenting policy
TribLive commenting policy
You are solely responsible for your comments and by using TribLive.com you agree to our Terms of Service.
We moderate comments. Our goal is to provide substantive commentary for a general readership. By screening submissions, we provide a space where readers can share intelligent and informed commentary that enhances the quality of our news and information.
While most comments will be posted if they are on-topic and not abusive, moderating decisions are subjective. We will make them as carefully and consistently as we can. Because of the volume of reader comments, we cannot review individual moderation decisions with readers.
We value thoughtful comments representing a range of views that make their point quickly and politely. We make an effort to protect discussions from repeated comments either by the same reader or different readers.
We follow the same standards for taste as the daily newspaper. A few things we won't tolerate: personal attacks, obscenity, vulgarity, profanity (including expletives and letters followed by dashes), commercial promotion, impersonations, incoherence, proselytizing and SHOUTING. Don't include URLs to Web sites.
We do not edit comments. They are either approved or deleted. We reserve the right to edit a comment that is quoted or excerpted in an article. In this case, we may fix spelling and punctuation.
We welcome strong opinions and criticism of our work, but we don't want comments to become bogged down with discussions of our policies and we will moderate accordingly.
We appreciate it when readers and people quoted in articles or blog posts point out errors of fact or emphasis and will investigate all assertions. But these suggestions should be sent via e-mail. To avoid distracting other readers, we won't publish comments that suggest a correction. Instead, corrections will be made in a blog post or in an article.
- Visiting Italians welcomed to sister city of Monongahela
- Coyle Theater backers win lawsuit over debt
- Carroll incident draws police from 4 departments
- Reality Tour at Belle Vernon Area High School traces downfall of addict
- Mon Valley school districts set to begin new year
- Learning never stops for Fallowfield Towship art educator Mohney
- Reader requests more from ’44 on ‘This Day’ journey
- Candlewood Suites coming to Rostraver
- Donora buys old elementary center
- Mon Valley transit merger decision might come next month
- Building wealth easier than you think