Valley Independent-Cal U scholarship dinner Wednesday
One-year, full-tuition scholarships to California University of Pennsylvania will be awarded to two area high school seniors Thursday at the 14th annual dinner for The Valley Independent-California University of Pennsylvania Scholarship for Outstanding High School Seniors.
The winners will be selected from a field of 18 students nominated by their respective schools.
While only two nominees – one male and one female – will win scholarships, each of the 18 nominees will receive a $500 cash award from The Valley Independent in recognition of their accomplishments inside and outside the classroom.
The awards dinner will get under way at 6 p.m. in the Natali Student Center on the Cal U campus.
The candidates are:
• Belle Vernon Area High School: Micale Mary-Arlette Ellison and Parker Lynn.
• Bentworth High School: Karlee Reeves and Travis Loar.
• California Area High School: Lacey Koster and Joshua John Luko.
• Charleroi Area High School: Anjela Tilghman and Brandon Bowman.
• Elizabeth Forward High School: Rachel Hough and Anthony Edward Mooney Jr.
• Frazier High School: Samantha Brooks and Bryan Moore.
• Monessen High School: Monet Wade and Tyler Shash.
• Ringgold High School: Erica Nicole Santina and Jeremy Perez.
• Yough High School: Jordan Sterner and Gerald Koza Jr.
Here's a look at the minimum criteria for scholarship nominees:
• An overall grade point average of 3.0 or greater.
• Significant participation in community service and volunteer activities.
• Exceptional athletic achievement and/or significant contributions to a minimum of one co-curricular activity.
• Meet all admission requirements of California University of Pennsylvania.
The scholarship program was launched in 2001 as the brainchild of Dr. Paul Burd, who since has retired as Cal U's vice president for student development and services, and Barbara Raitano, who at the time was general manager of The Valley Independent.