Running with Ryan 5K run/walk Sunday
Ryan Moravec loved to run, logging more than 20,000 miles in his lifetime.
Moravec, of Rostraver Township, was an elite athlete who had a passion for running. The MVP of the Mid Mon Valley Track Classic his senior year in 2003 at Belle Vernon Area, he had a personal record of 14.37 in the 5K.
Sadly, he lost his life in a May 2012 traffic accident on Route 51 in Perryopolis.
But his legacy lives on.
The second annual Running with Ryan Memorial 5K Run/Walk and Kids Fun Run will be held July 6 at the John DiVirgilio Park in Rostraver Township.
The event will again raise money for track scholarships awarded to one male and female Belle Vernon Area student, based on academic and athletic accomplishments.
Amanda Moravec DeMedio believes her brother would be most proud of the beneficiaries of the Running with Ryan 5K.
“He would have been most excited about giving the scholarships to the kids,” Morovec DeMedio said.
Kaitlin Greco and Brian Brazon, 2014 Belle Vernon Area graduates, were awarded scholarships from the inaugural event. That race attracted more than 300 people and this year more than 220 already signed up, Moravec DeMedio said.
Awards will be given to the top three male and female finishers overall in both the run and walk, as well as in each of the following divisions: 14 and under; 15-to-19; 20-to-29; 30-to-39; 40-to-49; 50-to-59; and 60-plus.
The free Kids Fun Run will follow the event with the top three finishers receiving medals and all participants under age 8 who pre-register will receive a prize in a gift bag.
Award presentations, refreshments, drawings and silent auction will be held after the race at the DiVirgilio Pavilion, located near the Rostraver Municipal Complex.
Day-of registrations will be accepted beginning at 7 a.m. with registration and bag pick-ups. Races will get underway at 8 a.m.
T-shirts are guaranteed for those who pre-register and will be available to others in limited sizes and quantities.
The entry-fee for the fundraiser is $20.
Walk-ups are welcome, but interested parties are urged to sign up as soon as possible, accessing the form on Google via “runningwithryan.”
Chris Buckley is a staff writer for Trib Total Media. He can be reached at 724-684-2642 or firstname.lastname@example.org.
Show commenting policy
TribLive commenting policy
- Police investigating shooting outside of Monessen bar
- Coal Center’s High Point restaurant for sale as owners ease into retirement
- DEP cites Monessen coke plant 6 times
- Valley residents enjoyed holiday happenings over weekend
- Monessen amphitheater proves to be crowd pleaser
- Mon Valley communities put spotlight on Christmas season
- Monongahela grad inducted into state Sports Hall of Fame
- Monessen offices on the move?
- Rostraver woman killed in apparent murder-suicide had reported abuse, court records show
- Mon Valley kettle drive in need of miracle work
- Colonial leaders extended legacy to Mon Valley towns