4 facing trial in New Eagle holdup
Four Mon Valley men were ordered to stand trial for allegedly robbing a New Eagle man at gunpoint last month.
Derek Lowe, 21, of 213 Luella Ave., Charleroi; Nigel Thomas Summers, 20, of 221 McKean Ave., Charleroi; Zach Cowell, 17, of 684 state Route 837, Union Township; and Xavier “Jose” Rodriguez, 17, of 323 McKean Ave., Apt. 1, Charleroi, underwent preliminary hearings Wednesday in Washington County Central Court.
Cowell and Lowe are being charged as adults, because robbery is a first-degree felony.
Monongahela police said Robert Cox of New Eagle was attempting to purchase marijuana from Rodriguez and Summers on June 21. That's when Rodriguez pointed a silver pistol at Cox and demanded money.
The pair allegedly made off with three $50 bills and a number of $20 bills.
Monongahela police Officer Steve Kenyon said he was conducting surveillance 11 p.m. June 21 on a suspicious vehicle parked at the 7-Eleven store in New Eagle.
Lowe was in the driver's seat of the maroon Nissan with Cowell seated in the passenger's seat, Kenyon said.
Kenyon said he saw Rodriguez and Summers walk down Union Street and get into the back of the vehicle.
As that vehicle pulled away, a silver car pulled up behind it and rode its rear bumper, Kenyon said.
The officer stopped the sliver vehicle and an unidentified male driver claimed people in the maroon car had just robbed his friend, Cox.
Kenyon said he pulled over the Nissan as backup officers arrived.
Police searched the occupants and allegedly found $645 in Summers' pocket and a stolen Bersa .38-caliber pistol on the floor near where Cowell had been seated.
Police said they confiscated a backpack Rodriguez had been carrying and found about 30 grams of suspected marijuana.
Summers and Rodriguez are charged with felony counts of robbery, conspiracy – robbery, aggravated assault, receiving stolen property, firearms not to be carried without a license, possession with intent to deliver and a number of misdemeanors.
As of late Wednesday, each remained in the Washington County Correctional Facility in lieu of $100,000 straight cash bond.
Lowe and Cowell are charged with felony counts of conspiracy – robbery, receiving stolen property, firearms not to be carried without a license, possession with intent to deliver and multiple misdemeanors.
Each remained in the county jail in lieu of $50,000 straight cash bond.
Show commenting policy
TribLive commenting policy
- Monessen library presenting war stories
- Artists paint the town in anticipation of annual Monessen exhibit
- Couple puts faith in new Sutersville antiques store
- Runners get set for Charleroi’s Little Great Race
- Retail theft suspect takes off, leaves baby at Rostraver Township Walmart
- Belle Vernon man who allegedly offered drugs to young girls jailed
- Minerd named AD at California Area High School
- Mon Valley athletes look for continued collegiate success
- Donora woman picked up on drug charges
- Distance runners generated interest in Charleroi race long ago
- Anticipation sky high for Rostraver remote-control air show