| Neighborhoods

Larger text Larger text Smaller text Smaller text | Order Photo Reprints

Victim of Monessen standoff committed suicide

Email Newsletters

Click here to sign up for one of our email newsletters.

Daily Photo Galleries

Wednesday, July 23, 2014, 12:11 a.m.

A Fayette City man who police said shot himself as they attempted to arrest him at a Monessen residence died of a self-inflicted gunshot wound to the head, the Westmoreland County Coroner's office ruled Tuesday.

Deputy Coroner Tim O'Donnell said the death of Jackie Lee Sabo, 37, of 107 Johnson Hollow Road, was ruled a suicide following an autopsy.

The weapon used was a .357 Ruger revolver, O'Donnell said.

State police were serving an outstanding warrant on Sabo around 4 p.m. Monday at 717 Rostraver St. when the suspect purportedly pulled out the gun before turning it on himself.

O'Donnell pronounced Sabo dead a short time later.

Rodney Jones, who resides at the Rostraver Street residence, said he was upstairs when he heard police plead with Sabo to surrender his weapon before the fatal gunshot.

Sabo had been wanted for an outstanding bench warrant out of the office of Magisterial District Judge Richard Kasunic II in Perry Township on charges from a July 3 incident in Fayette City.

State police said around 4 a.m. that morning, Sabo allegedly threatened to kill his wife, Kacee Sabo, at her residence.

According to an affidavit of probable cause, Jackie Sabo then pistol whipped his wife on the left side of her head, tied her hands behind her back with an extension cord and trapped her in a bedroom closet by pushing a box spring and two mattresses against the door.

Kacee Sabo was later able to free her hands and kick a hole through the wall to escape the closet, police said.

Jackie Sabo was charged with possession of a firearm prohibited, terroristic threats, false imprisonment, simple assault and harassment for the alleged incident.

Sabo had been previously convicted of burglary and two felony thefts and was not permitted to carry a firearm, police said.

State police said an investigation into Monday's incident is ongoing.

Rick Bruni Jr. is a staff writer for Trib Total Media. He can be reached at or 724-684-2635.

Subscribe today! Click here for our subscription offers.



Show commenting policy

Most-Read Mon Valley

  1. News Alert
  2. New EMV debit/credit cards arriving in Mon Valley
  3. Rostraver garbage collection vote delayed
  4. 2 senior groups involved in 1966 Belle Vernon Area graduation
  5. Charleroi teachers raise funds to feed hungry schoolchildren
  6. Army officer, Charleroi native to serve as Veterans Day parade grand marshal
  7. Artistic ‘Vision’ pays off for Charleroi grad
  8. Monessen man accused of assaulting infant boy
  9. Carroll hires full-time police officer
  10. Perryopolis cops, Frazier officials probe alleged student gun threat
  11. Monongahela Area Historical Society gears up for annual Ghostwalk