Spill closes Mon/Fayette Expressway
One lane of the Mon/Fayette Expressway at the Coyle Curtin Road interchange was shut down Friday after a small chemical spill was discovered.
A tractor-trailer was entering the expressway at milepost 39 in Fallowfield Township 2:42 p.m. Friday when the driver noticed that one of the tires on the rig was wet, state police Cpl. Charles Sellhamer said. The vehicle was hauling several plastic containers containing an organic hydrocarbon substance, Sellhamer said.
A leak in the seal of one of the containers was discovered, he said.
Washington County Hazardous Materials personnel were called to the scene for precautionary reasons, Sellhamer said.
State police, Charleroi and Fallowfield Township firefighters as well as Mon Valley and Fort Cherry emergency medical services were at the scene.
The right-hand lane of the expressway in the vicinity of the on-ramp was closed for a couple of hours.
Show commenting policy
TribLive commenting policy
- Youngwood man’s crash knocks out power in Monessen
- Trial to begin Monday in Rostraver home invasion
- Man with Donora roots promoted to Air Force colonel
- Ringgold students earn Westinghouse science honor
- California, Pa. native John Messana hit high notes in opera, culinary roles
- ‘Suspicious’ blaze in N. Belle Vernon puts cops on alert
- River traffic resumes on Mon
- Carroll woman accused of prescription drug scheme
- Charleroi man charged in pizza shop burglaries
- Monessen break-ins under investigation
- Donora woman wins state nursing award