Belle Vernon traffic stop leads to police chase
Police are trying to determine if a pickup truck abandoned in Rostraver Township Tuesday is the one that led police on a high-speed chase in Belle Vernon and North Belle Vernon in the pre-dawn hours.
Southwest Regional Police attempted a traffic stop on a pickup truck 4:56 a.m. Tuesday in Belle Vernon.
According to police, the truck exited the eastbound ramp of Interstate 70 and headed down Main Street. Police saw that a headlight was out on the truck.
The vehicle, described as purple or dark-colored, left I-70, headed onto Beacon Avenue and then onto Washington Street.
Police said a woman with long, blond hair was driving.
At 827 Washington St., the truck drove circles around a tree, causing damage to the yard. The truck then headed back onto I-70.
Southwest Regional ended the pursuit, asking Westmoreland County 911 to call North Belle Vernon police.
Shortly after 9 a.m., Rostraver police found an abandoned pickup truck matching the vehicle in the chase. It was near the I-70 exit at Route 51. It is registered to a 51-year-old New Jersey man, Rostraver police reported. Police are trying to determine if the truck was stolen.
Chris Buckley is a staff writer for Trib Total Media. He can be reached at 724-684-2642 .
Show commenting policy
TribLive commenting policy
- Arrest made in connection with Rostraver home invasion
- Luck runs out for fugitive ‘Jinx’ Law
- California University police officer alleges discrimination
- Donora man accused of hours-long assault of woman
- 3 men arrested on drug charges in Donora
- Monessen police seek 2 shootout suspects
- Trick-or-treat times set for Mon Valley
- Rostraver woman victim of home invasion
- Charleroi football player turns tragedy into triumph
- North Belle Vernon woman honors son’s legacy of caring, strength
- Charleroi men facing drug charges