Mt. Pleasant Township church offers clothing to needy
By Linda Harkcom
Published: Wednesday, November 21, 2012, 8:52 p.m.
Updated: Friday, March 29, 2013
As temperatures begin to drop, many in the Fay-West region lack the resources to buy clothes to keep them warm in the winter.
Fairview Church of God in Mt. Pleasant Township is lending a hand this week with a warm clothing giveaway for those in need.
“We have rummage sales in the summer months that usually end in October. We have extra coats and winter clothes, and I had heard of another church that had been giving winter clothes away and thought, ‘Why don't we give it a try?'” said treasurer Chris Kantorik of Mt. Pleasant Township.
The event will take place over two days at the church along Route 982 near Kecksburg. The first day is from 11 a.m. to 2 p.m. Wednesday. That's the same time the church's soup kitchen operates, so those in need can look for warm clothing and get a hot meal.
The second date is 11 a.m. to 2 p.m. Saturday.
“We have quite a collection of clothing, plus it's an outreach to the community in our economic decline, so people in need can come and get the clothing they need to stay warm,” said church elder Gerri Marks of Mt. Pleasant Township.
Rummage sale coordinator Violet Paul of Bullskin said the church has jackets, coats, scarves and other winter apparel available.
“We have two or three racks of coats — ladies', mens', kids' and even a few baby buntings,” Paul said. “If you know someone in need, you can pick something up for them. It does not have to be for yourself.”
The event is open to anyone in need. No financial information will be requested. Kantorik said the clothing is free.
“They can make a donation if they want, but it is not necessary,” Kantorik said.
Donations of warm clothing items from the community are welcome for the event, Kantorik said. Those who would like to donate can call the Rev. Keith Solomon, the church's pastor, at 724-887-5078.
Linda Harkcom is a freelance writer.
- Donegal Township supervisors vote down county transportation funding ordinance
- Rotary Club of Mt. Pleasant spotlights top students of district’s Class of 2013
- Dedication of Mt. Pleasant digital veterans’ memorial wall is Sunday
- Seth Menart Memorial 5K Race welcomes crowd to Mt. Pleasant Area
- West Overton project gets boost from Rotary Club of Mt. Pleasant
- Watoto Children’s Choir to perform Sunday at Mt. Pleasant Church of God
- Club purchases scoreboard for Donegal Elementary
- 3 Mt. Pleasant Area teachers receive student project grants
- Garbon faces Malone for Dem tax collector nod in Mt. Pleasant Township
You must be signed in to add comments
To comment, click the Sign in or sign up at the very top of this page.
Subscribe today! Click here for our subscription offers.