Rotary Club calendar sales benefit Mt. Pleasant area nonprofits
Seven local nonprofit organizations recently became recipients of donations from the Rotary Club of Mt. Pleasant.
The club recently disbursed funds to the following groups from proceeds generated by its annual calendar sale:
• The Children's Aid Home
• The Mt. Pleasant Area Historical Society
• The Mt. Pleasant Area boys basketball team
• The Mt. Pleasant Borough Volunteer Fire Department
• The Mt. Pleasant Cat Committee
• The Mt. Pleasant Friends of the Library
• The Mt. Pleasant Senior Citizen Center
Each of the benefitting entities took part in selling the calendars.
“We are so pleased to be able to help these worthy organizations,” said Tom Forsythe, the club's president. “It's a nice way for us to be able to help them, and we are happy to do it every year.
“These are all good charities and since they receive money based on how many calendars they sell, they are basically helping themselves.”
For the third consecutive year, club members have sold an annual calendar to the public. Organizations have the opportunity to participate in the sale. Those groups' members who sell the calendar earn a portion of the money generated from the sales for their organization.
“They helped us a great deal this year,” Forsythe said. “We sold about 800 calendars, which is up about 100 from last year.”
The seven nonprofit organizations were awarded checks at a recent lunch and celebration.
The amount of the check for each group was based on the number of calendars that group sold, Forsythe said.
Representatives from all of the groups were on hand to receive the donations. Many told the Rotarians how the funds would be applied.
“I want to thank the Rotary, on behalf of the historical society, for allowing us to be a part of this,” said Richard Snyder, the society's president and a past Rotary Club president. “This money will help us to complete our second log house, which we hope to have done by summer. With a few more checks like this, we may even get done sooner.”
Mt. Pleasant Borough Volunteer Fire Chief Jerry Lucia accepted the check on behalf of the department.
“My hat is off to the Rotary,” Lucia said. “We are glad that we could help you with this event.”
Theresa Benedict, a member of the Friends of the Library group, told those in attendance that the funds would go a long way in their quest to help the local library.
“The library needs help,” said Benedict, adding that her group has raised more than $7,000 to donate to the library. “Our state funding has been reduced and this money will help us to maintain the library in Mt. Pleasant.”
Forsythe said the club hopes to continue the calendar sale in years to come. Officials of other non-profit groups can contact the club if they're interested in taking part in the next sale, he said.
“We have a lot of good groups in the area, and this is a good way for them to help us while also helping themselves,” Forsythe said. “It's a great way for us all to work together.”
Marilyn Forbes is a freelance writer.
Show commenting policy
TribLive commenting policy
- WATT Fuel Cell Corp. marks grand opening in Mt. Pleasant Township
- Mt. Pleasant school holds student council elections
- Dinner to help fund Good Samaritan Center in Mt. Pleasant
- Mt. Pleasant Cemetery to serve as site of Civil War ceremony
- Acme artist balances stones in nature
- Mt. Pleasant-area armory undergoes change of command
- Subway opens for business in Norvelt
- Couple emerges with new insurance agency in Mt. Pleasant
- Authority joins hair stylist to ‘Paint the Town Pink’ in Mt. Pleasant