Franklin Regional students taking new Keystone Exams
By Daveen Rae Kurutz
Published: Thursday, December 6, 2012, 8:56 a.m.
Updated: Thursday, December 6, 2012
Franklin Regional high school students began taking the new Keystone Exams this week and will continue with testing through Dec. 13.
The Keystone Exams will replace the grade 11 Pennsylvania System of School Assessment exams, which are typically administered in the spring.
Beginning with the class of 2017, students will be required to test at least “proficient” on exams in Algebra 1, biology and literature.
Juniors took the literature exam Tuesday and Wednesday.
The biology exam will be administered Dec. 6 and 11 to sophomores who took the course in 2011-12 and juniors.
The Algebra 1 exam will be administered on Dec. 12 and 13. Juniors who took Algebra 1 and students in grades 9 and 10 who are taking Algebra 2 will take the test.
Students who are not testing will begin classes at 9 a.m. on testing days.
Those who tested “proficient” or “advanced” last year on a Keystone subject test will not be retested.
According to the state Department of Education, students graduating in 2019 will be required to also take and pass a Keystone Exam in composition. Those graduating in 2020 also must take and pass an exam in civics and government.
A second round of exams will be administered in the spring.
Daveen Rae Kurutz is a staff writer for Trib Total Media. She can be reached at 412-856-7400, ext. 8627, or email@example.com.
- New textbooks approved in Franklin Regional
- Photo gallery: Franklin Regional commencement
- Murrysville Council works to get residential areas connected to trail system
- Franklin Regional receives little feedback about literature anthologies
- Photo gallery: Field Day at Heritage Elementary
- Many districts rethinking policies on valedictorians
- Paving along Logan Ferry to begin
- Some Franklin Regional leaders see bias in books
- Export officials to investigate Puckety Road speed limit
- Former PTO president, Delmont soccer manager accused of taking money
- Photo gallery: Sloan Elementary Science Olympiad
You must be signed in to add comments
To comment, click the Sign in or sign up at the very top of this page.
Subscribe today! Click here for our subscription offers.