Two Franklin Regional teachers treated after suspected Freon leak
By Daveen Rae Kurutz
Published: Monday, March 4, 2013, 1:36 p.m.
Updated: Thursday, March 7, 2013
Two Franklin Regional elementary teachers were treated at a local hospital and released after a refrigerator malfunctioned Monday morning.
Emergency workers were called to Heritage Elementary around noon after two teachers reported feeling ill after being in their classroom. The teachers reported having headaches and dizziness, district spokeswoman Shelley Shaneyfelt said in a release.
District service employees determined the source of the odor to be a faulty personal refrigerator that likely is leaking Freon.
The teachers' symptoms were consistent with Freon exposure, officials said.
All of the students in the classroom were evaluated by the school nurse. None reported feeling ill, Shaneyfelt said.
The room was ventilated and wasn't used for the remainder of the day.
Shaneyfelt said the incident was contained to the one classroom. Evacuation was not needed.
Daveen Rae Kurutz is a staff writer for Trib Total Media. She can be reached at 412-856-7400, ext. 8627, or email@example.com.
- Delmont police, fire officials look to build bond
- Export officials put an end to the waiving of late fees
- Former Export mayor beats incumbent for Democratic nomination
- Murrysville Star named best nondaily newspaper in state
- Primary fails to narrow Franklin Regional board race
- Voters head to the polls to cast votes in primary Tuesday
- Franklin Regional approves preliminary budget sans tax hike
- Sheriff called to Newlonsburg polling place over campaign literature
- Murrysville, Export, Delmont incumbents easily win endorsements
You must be signed in to add comments
To comment, click the Sign in or sign up at the very top of this page.
Subscribe today! Click here for our subscription offers.