Low-bidder extends deadline for Export roof project
Export officials have delayed awarding a roof-repair contract while they try to have an insurance agency re-evaluate a claim on 11 borough-owned buildings.
Officials opened bids for the project in May but haven't been able to award the contract because of questions regarding how the borough's insurance company evaluated the claim. Solicitor Wes Long said a Selective Insurance agent might have to re-evaluate the roofs on all the buildings that were damaged by hail and storms in 2011.
After the review, Selective paid the borough about $41,650 for repairs; however, the lowest bid on the project was for more than $60,000.
Mayor Michael Calder said the lowest bidder, Larry Faul Construction of Sheffield, Pa., agreed to extend the bid — which initially was set to expire July 12 — until next month.
Calder — who said the insurance adjuster did not evaluate all 11 buildings — said council likely will vote on the contract at its Aug. 5 meeting.
Borough officials said the roof-repair list includes the maintenance building, salt shed, park restroom, park food stand, entertainment building, the playground pavilion, playground restroom, playground dugout, as well as the three buildings on the Murrysville property that businessman Joseph “Junior” Hall bequeathed to the borough.
Long said he is working with Selective to get a complete evaluation and estimate.
Daveen Rae Kurutz is a staff writer for Trib Total Media. She can be reached at 412-856-7400, ext. 8627, or email@example.com.
Show commenting policy
TribLive commenting policy
- June summer camp to challenge FR students’ creativity
- Murrysville council approves Speedway plan for Rt. 286
- Catalytic converters taken from vehicles in Murrysville
- Murrysville dance instructor brings Bollywood to the ‘burbs
- Upgrades to Rt. 22 signals set for 2015
- Teacher eyes expanded internships for Franklin Regional students
- Roundup: Egg hunts set for Murrysville, Delmont, Export area
- Organizers hope conference will draw those in need