Murrysville set for Community Day
Murrysville Community Park will be bustling with activity Saturday, as residents and friends celebrate Community Day.
The annual event features entertainment, sporting events, food and information booths and several activities for adults and children, culminating in an original fireworks display orchestrated by resident and certified pyrotechnician Bill Yant.
Food vendors will be open from 11 a.m. until dark and include: Applewood Cookery with turkey, brisket, pulled pork and a spit-roasted pig; Murrysville Seniors with hot beef sundaes; Kona Ice; Rotary hot sausage; Heberling ice cream; gourmet kettle corn and hamburgers; hot dogs and lemonade; and gyros.
Here is a list of events slated for the day.
• 10 a.m.: Gates open.
• 10 a.m. to 2 p.m.: Children's Touch-a-Truck in the parking lot.
• 11 a.m. and 5 p.m.: Trail walks with the parks and recreation commission.
• Noon to 4 p.m.: Football games on the lower field.
• Noon to 4 p.m.: FAMFA flag/cubs.
• Noon to 6 p.m.: Farmers market.
• Noon to 6 p.m.: Rock wall sponsored by the Boy Scouts of America.
• Noon to 7 p.m.: Children's water zone featuring slides, water balloon battles and misters.
• 1 p.m. and 6 p.m.: Miracle Field games.
• 1:15 to 1:45 p.m.: Marvelette Stars baton and drum corps at the main stage.
• 2 to 4 p.m.: The Chain, a Fleetwood Mac tribute band, at the main stage.
• 4 to 5 p.m.: East End Kids.
• 4 to 4:30 p.m.: Photos with Miss Murrysville 2013, Chelsea Kontra.
• 5 to 8 p.m.: Doug Edgell Band.
• 5:30 p.m.: Opening ceremony.
• 4 to 8 p.m.: Car cruise on the lower field; tethered hot-air balloon rides on the lower field; hayrides with Gearhard Farms.
• 4:30 to 7:30 p.m.: Petting zoo.
• 7 p.m.: Faith in Action Golf Ball Drop.
• 9 p.m.: Fireworks.
For more information, call 724-327-2100, ext. 115 or 131.
Daveen Rae Kurutz is a staff writer for Trib Total Media. She can be reached at 412-856-7400, ext. 8627, or firstname.lastname@example.org.