Plan to reopen Shaler’s Fall Run Road moving forward
By Bethany Hofstetter
Published: Wednesday, December 19, 2012, 8:50 p.m.
Updated: Wednesday, December 19, 2012
The plan to reopen Fall Run Road, between Route 8 and Middle Road, will start with Rudzik Excavating Inc., a Struthers, Ohio-based company.
Last week, Shaler Township Board of Commissioners approved the excavating company to complete the first phase of the project, which involves cutting into the hillside to move the road after the respective companies relocate utilities, for $107,500.
In the past five years, Fall Run Road had gone from a two-lane road to a one way street because of narrow road conditions and site distance. Last year, township officials closed the road to vehicle traffic because landslide conditions are affecting the width and stability of the road.
Shaler Township received a $100,000 grant from the Allegheny County Redevelopment Authority Community Infrastructure and Tourism Fund, which is funded through gambling revenues, to complete the first phase of the two-phase project, and township officials committed to $60,000 of municipal money for the first phase of the project.
The Commissioners' approval for Rudzik Excavating Inc. to start the project is subject to the verification of the company's references.
“They are a very extensive set of references,” said Kevin Creagh, township engineer.
“The company has done work all over the east coast. The references are to be vetted, but they appear to be a solid company.
For them, this is probably a small project.”
Creagh said he estimates the project will produce 25,000 to 26,000 cubic yards of fill, which is equal to 6,500 truckloads of the Shaler Township trucks. That number could be cut in half with the use of larger trucks.
The second phase of the project will include the construction of a 1,250-foot section of road, which the township will complete once it acquires the necessary $160,000 of funding.
Bethany Hofstetter is a staff writer for Trib Total Media. She can be reached at 724-772-6364 or email@example.com.
- Photo Gallery: Bike rodeo in Ross Township
- Primary info for North Hills, Ross, West View races
- Millvale art show to feature works of school art teachers
- Primary info for North Allegheny, Franklin Park, McCandless, other races
- Evening traffic restrictions set to start Monday on Duncan Avenue
- Sheen helps provide shine to La Roche’s graduation
- Record haul recorded in Shaler drug take-back event
- ‘Simply Classic’ at Hampton prom
- Hampton school budget plan calls for small tax rate hike
- Pine-Richland prom was ‘An Evening in Vegas’
- Sutter Road closing Wednesday in Shaler and Ross
You must be signed in to add comments
To comment, click the Sign in or sign up at the very top of this page.
Subscribe today! Click here for our subscription offers.