Romac elected to Shaler Area School Board Director in Region 3
Steve Romac, a Democrat, defeated Republican incumbent James Giel by a tally of 1,268 to 1,098 for the seat as Shaler Area School Board director, Region 3.
Giel, who came into the election with 16 years of service as a school board member and 11 years as board president, was defeated by the Democratic challenger.
In other Shaler-related elections, Republican incumbent Lori Mizgorski, 46, defeated Democratic challenger Jim Tunstall, 37, by a vote of 428 to 375 for Shaler Commissioner Ward 2. This will be Mizgorski's second four-year term. In the race for Shaler Commissioner Ward 4, longtime Democratic incumbent Thomas McElhone, 69, defeated Republican challenger Leah Kurz, 33, with an election total of 454 to 353. This will be McElhone's seventh four-year term serving in Ward 4.
O'Hara newcomer Cassie Eccles won a four-year position on council by a narrow margin Tuesday night, according to unofficial results from the Allegheny County Department of Elections.
With two of two precincts reporting, Eccles, a Democrat, earned 173 votes to beat Republican Alan Templin, who earned 166 votes.
“It was so, so close,” said Eccles, who said it is her time to give back to the community she's called home for 20 years.
Here are the election results in the contested races for the municipalities of Hampton, Shaler, O'Hara, Indiana and Richland as well as for the school board director at Shaler Area.
(•) indicates winners
• Peter S. Russ (R) 1,333
• Cary Montgomery (R) 1,300
• Victor D. Son (R) 1,271
Jason Adam (D) 991
Kimberley J. Fink (D) 962
Indiana Supervisor District 5
• Michael Schurko (R) 108
David Allison (D) 95
O'Hara Council Ward 5
• Cassandra Eccles (D) 173
Alan Templin (R) 166
Shaler Commissioner Ward 2
• Lori Mizgorski (R) 428
Jim Tunstall (D) 375
Shaler Commissioner Ward 4
• Thomas McElhone (D) 454
Leah Kurz (R) 353
Richland Supervisor District 2
• John A. Marshall (R) 299
Robert Pavlecic (D) 155
Shaler Area School Board Director, Region 3
• Steve Romac (D) 1,268
James A. Giel, Jr. (R) 1,098
Results are unofficial until verified by Allegheny County officials.
Show commenting policy
TribLive commenting policy
- Website ranks Hampton among nation’s top schools
- Wexford Elementary earns Blue Ribbon honor
- Housing plan, commercial complex get Pine’s OK
- Ross officials plan more funds for road paving
- West View to light up old holiday tradition
- Fireworks to highlight La Roche-hosted Festival of Lights
- Work with disabled earns Shaler grad honor
- Town Square to bring fresh, affordable food to Millvale
- Former Holiday Inn in Hampton now an apartment complex
- North Hills senior to continue rowing career at West Virginia
- North Hills Wind Ensemble musicians ‘respect the music’