Six NA students finalists in Musical Kids competition
Six of the 12 finalists in the Classical WQED 89.3 Musical Kids competition are North Allegheny School District students.
The next stage of the contest for middle school students involves Internet voting for a fan favorite.
The finalists who attend North Allegheny schools are:
• Christopher Fedor, 13, eighth grade, piano, Marshall Middle School.
• Enoch Hsiao, 12, seventh grade, piano, Marshall Middle School.
• Amanda Lu, 13, seventh grade, piano, Ingomar Middle School.
• Rebeka Rest, 12, sixth grade, piano, Marshall Middle School.
• William Wang, 12, seventh grade, piano, Ingomar Middle School.
• Andrew Zhang, 13, eighth grade, piano, Carson Middle School.
The public is invited to cast an online vote for one of the finalists through April 30 at www.wqed.org/musicalkids. One of six winners will be chosen by the public through the online voting portal. The remaining five winners will be selected by the Musical Kids judges composed of local classical-music experts. Winners will be announced May 5 on WQED, 89.3 FM by Anna Singer at noon and recognized publicly at “Classical WQED-FM 89.3 Night” after the Pittsburgh Symphony Orchestra's May 9 performance at Heinz Hall in Pittsburgh. A radio program with interviews and live performances by the winners will air on “Performance in Pittsburgh” at 7 p.m. May 30 on the station. In addition, presentations will be made at each winner's school, where prizes, including a plaque, will be awarded.