Pine-Richland earns awards at Universal Dance summer camp
The Pine-Richland High School Dance Team showed off their spirit and expertise as they won awards at the Universal Dance Association summer camp held last month at Slippery Rock University.
The 15-girl team learned innovative choreography, attended daily technique classes, participated in team building activities and competed against other dance teams during the camp, held July 6 to 9.
“Camp is a team bonding experience for the girls and an important first step as we prepare for our upcoming year,” said Coach Kathy Deal.
The team won a blue ribbon for their home team dance routine, received the “Super Spirit Stick” on the first night of camp from the camp instructors for their energy and enthusiasm, and earned a Superior UDA trophy for their performance all week at the camp in various routines taught.
Winning the Superior UDA trophy qualified the team to participate in the Universal Dance Association Team Championship in Orlando, Fla. in January 2015.
Seniors and captains Amy Andro, Katelyn DeNisi and Rachel Maley received UDA All-American Awards for their excellence in the All-American Dance Competition. For receiving this honor, they are invited to perform in the London New Year's Day parade and Macy's Thanksgiving Day parade.
DeNisi also placed first in the individual drill down competition, where she received the Drill Down Queen award.
One of the crowning moments of the camp was when the team was awarded the Dance Team Leadership trophy, which is presented by the UDA staff and voted on by participating dance teams. Dance teams from Pennsylvania, New York and West Virginia attended the camp.
“This shows how much our girls are respected by their peers,” Deal said.
Rachel Farkas is a staff writer for Trib Total Media. She can be reached at 724-779-6902.
Show commenting policy
TribLive commenting policy
- North Hills principal aims to make world ‘a better place’
- Program offers Pine-Richland students look at career options
- New tax to hit most in Richland
- Proposed housing plan in Ross tabled following concerns
- Photo Gallery: Light Up West View
- Hampton High grad earns Miss Pennsylvania title
- Banking program aims to make Shaler Area students fiscally responsible
- Shaler Area reaches contract agreement through June 20, 2019 with superintendent
- Shaler tax rate stays steady
- North Hills-area children, youths play their parts in ‘Nutcracker’
- Ross store’s discount helps Al’s Bike Drive to brighten Christmas