Prescription drug drop box placed at township police station
A new, secure box has been set up in North Huntingdon for people to dispose unwanted or unused prescription drugs year-round.
The box, located in the police department on Center Highway, allows people to drop in medications. Officials at the Drug Enforcement Administration will collect the drugs from the police department throughout the year.
“What we have found is that people, and a lot of times its people who have loved ones who passed away, instead of putting the prescription drugs on hold, we'll have a box here and people can come any time of day and drop off these unused meds,” Det. Sgt. Jeffrey Bouldin said. “It's just making it more convenient.”
Rising addictions to prescription medications, as well as concerns over home burglaries, were factored into the decision to get a permanent drop-off box, Bouldin said. The Norwin Lions Club and Fix's Auto Body donated the box.
“We're trying to curb addiction,” he said. “It's taking these prescriptions that are unwanted or unneeded out of houses to prevent other people from having access to it. It's an important tool for us.”
The department previously collected prescription drugs during drop-off campaigns. Bouldin guessed the department has collected “hundreds of pounds” of prescription medications during those collections.
Amanda DolasinskI is a staff writer for Trib Total Media. She can be reached at 412-856-7400, ext. 8626 or firstname.lastname@example.org.
Show commenting policy
TribLive commenting policy
- Norwin junior enjoying her year in Germany
- After more than 30 years, North Huntingdon man closes roadside stand
- Westmoreland County OKs extra grant money for North Irwin roads
- North Huntingdon Township to try short-term solution for Pine Hollow Road Extension
- Norwin School Board approves STEM measures
- Irwin Council signs off on emergency repairs to Caruthers Lane
- Event to honor North Huntingdon man, benefit foundation
- Norwin honors former Mt. Pleasant assistant track coach
- Developer plans North Huntingdon hotel near turnpike