TribLIVE

| Neighborhoods


 
Larger text Larger text Smaller text Smaller text | Order Photo Reprints

2 men accused of breaking into North Huntingdon concession stand

By Amanda Dolasinski
Wednesday, Sept. 18, 2013, 9:00 p.m.
 

Plans to steal drinks and candy from a soccer-field concession stand were thwarted when, police say, they caught two McKeesport men — donning camouflage gear and face paint — loading a vehicle with the goods last week.

Keith Alan Panico, 19, and Michael A. Gergley Jr., 25, both of McKeesport, are charged with burglary, criminal trespassing, theft and criminal mischief. The pair area accused of trying to steal sports drinks and candy bars from the concession stand at Turner Valley Soccer fields in North Huntingdon Township.

North Huntingdon police spotted a black Jeep sport-utility vehicle parked near the concession stand during a routine patrol around 12:38 a.m. Sept. 8. Panico was standing next to the driver's side door, according to the affidavit.

Police noted Panico was dressed in a long-sleeve camouflage shirt and camo hat with a head lamp, and his face was covered in camo paint. Officers observed the SUV was filled with cases of drinks and candy, according to the affidavit.

A shovel was leaning against the concession stand, and the metal roll-up window had been pried open, police said.

As officers were removing the drinks and candy from the vehicle, they located a black wallet that contained several bank cards with Gergley's name.

Gergley was located walking on Turner Valley Road around 1:30 a.m. He was spotted wearing a camouflage hat and camouflage face paint and appeared to have been running through the woods, police said.

The value of the drinks and candy is about $342, Bill Phillips, president of the soccer club, said. The cost to repair the damaged door has not been determined yet, he said.

“We're trying to upgrade our security as much as possible, but that takes time and money,” he said. “We do get a lot of vandalism down there. We're glad they're doing the patrols.”

Both men are free on $10,000 monetary bail. A preliminary hearing for both men is set for Sept. 25 with North Huntingdon District Judge Doug Weimer.

Amanda Dolasinski is a staff writer for Trib Total Media.

 

 
 


Show commenting policy

Most-Read Norwin

  1. Work will correct Highland, Conley drainage
  2. Historical society honored for ‘Irwin...Then and Now’
  3. 7 apply for vacant North Huntingdon seat
Subscribe today! Click here for our subscription offers.