Leechburg Garden shooters sentenced to life in prison
Two men have been sentenced to life in prison after being found guilty in a spring 2011 shooting at the Leechburg Gardens apartment complex in Penn Hills.
Thaddeus Crumbley, 34, of Turtle Creek, and Matthew Ebo, 28, of Homewood, were sentenced by Judge Beth Lazzara on Nov. 28 to life in prison after being found guilty in the May 16, 2011, shooting death of Todd Mattox.
Crumbley and Ebo were found guilty in a jury trial that ended Sept. 4.
Prior to his arrest on the charges stemming from the Leechburg Gardens homicide, Crumbley was both a shooting victim and the target of an additional homicide charge.
Swissvale police responded on June 2, 2011, to a Milligan Street apartment where they discovered a wounded Crumbley, according to Allegheny County police Lt. Andrew Schurman.
Crumbley was arrested the same day on charges that he shot and killed Wilkinsburg resident William Clark, 39, on Nov. 13, 2010, on the 7300 block of Frankstown Avenue in Homewood. Those charges were withdrawn, however, when witnesses failed to show up for a preliminary hearing, according to Pittsburgh police.
Ebo is no stranger to the courtroom, either: in addition to last week's conviction, there are two active drug cases pending against him, according to county court records, and he was convicted in 2008 on drug charges stemming from a 2006 arrest.
On top of the life sentence on the homicide charges, Lazzara tacked on an additional minimum of 48 1⁄2 years on underlying charges including robbery and firearms possession.
Patrick Varine is an editor for Trib Total Media. He can be reached at 412-320-7845 or email@example.com. Trib Total Media staff writer Michael Hasch contributed to this report.
Show commenting policy
TribLive commenting policy
- Marte’s 2 fine defensive plays rescue Pirates in victory over Reds
- Pirates trade for Dodgers 1B/OF Morse, Mariners LHP Happ
- Rossi: Nothing huge, but Huntington helped Bucs
- Steelers OLB coach Porter teaches as passionately as he played
- Inside The Steelers: LB Williams dominates backs-on-backers drill at Latrobe Memorial Stadium
- 2014 showing has Steelers RB Harris confident he belongs
- Pirates place Burnett on 15-day disabled list
- Armstrong inmate escapee charged with murdering family matriarch
- LaBar: Piper’s influence can’t be understated
- Red Onion reunion possibly the last for Hempfield coal mining village
- Gameday: Pirates at Cincinnati, Aug. 1, 2015