Point Breeze man sentenced to 5-10 years in fatal Milltown Road crash
A Point Breeze man has been sentenced to between five and 10 years in prison after pleading guilty to charges of vehicular homicide, in a May 2012 crash in Penn Hills that killed a woman and critically injured her 9-year-old son.
Christine Beilstein, 45, of Plum died shortly after the accident, according to the Allegheny County Medical Examiner's office. Her son, whom police did not identify, was flown to a local hospital with severe head injuries in critical condition.
Police said Duane C. Woodson, 50, was driving a tow truck in the 1000 block of Milltown Road and crossed into opposing traffic, colliding head-on with Beilstein's vehicle.
Woodson, who was not licensed, attempted to flee the accident scene on foot, but was caught, police said.
Woodson pleaded guilty to homicide by vehicle while driving under the influence, aggravated assault by vehicle while driving under the influence and other related charges. He was sentenced by Judge Philip Ignelzi.
Court records show Woodson's blood-alcohol content at the time of the crash was between 0.10 and 0.16, which triggered an additional charge of driving under the influence with a high blood-alcohol rate.
Show commenting policy
TribLive commenting policy
- Coca-Cola shaves incentives for executives
- Rossi: Pirates can’t waste McCutchen’s prime
- Ford City man charged with molesting teen
- DC Picks: Connellsville will get back into win column
- Rayburn offices moving to regular business hours
- The Leader expecting more surprises this week
- Schools converge for Armstrong County Marching Band Festival
- Giants, Bumgarner shut out Pirates in wild-card game
- Search for pilot of ultralight aircraft to resume Thursday
- East Huntingdon man dies following police chase
- State agency honors Manorville man for hooking up kids with fishing gear