Penn Hills, Midas track clubs take flight at USATF championships
Members of the Penn Hills Eagles continued to represent their hometown well at the USA Track & Field Junior Olympic National Championships, held the week of July 22 in North Carolina.
Among the notable reults:
• Gabrielle Williams placed seventh in the nation among 33 Sub-Bantam (7-8-year-old) runners competing in the 800-meters with a time of 2:51:07.
• The Sub-Bantam girls 4x400-meter relay team of Carley Freeman, Haven McCoy-Lofton, Gabrielle Williams and her sister Kendall came in ninth out of 17 teams, with a time of 5:34:94.
• Robert Thomas took third place out of 37 athletes in the mini-turbo javelin with a throw of 85 feet, 2 inches.
• Tyler Deshon Carter took fifth out of 42 athletes in the Intermediate (15-16-year-old) boys triple jump, posting a total distance of 43 feet, 9.25 inches.
Midas Track Club
In addition to the Eagles, members of the Midas Track Club also sent runners to USATF regional and national competitions.
Among their results at regionals:
• Mike Pope took third place in the 200-meters and first place in the 400-meters (13-14 years old).
• Olivia Rowe took fourth place in the triple jump (15-16 years old).
• Taylor McCorkle took third place in both the 100- and 200-meters (17-18 years old).
• Ally Bartoszewicz took second place in both the 100- and 200-meters (17-18 years old).
• Lauren Wiles took fifth place in the 100-meters (17-18 years old).
• Maria DeRenzo took third place in the 800-meters.
• Josh Burnett took third place in the long jump (8 and younger).
• The club's 4x100-meter relay team took second place (17-18 years old).
In national competition:
• Mike Pope placed in the top 25 nationwide in the 400-meters (13-14 years old).
• Ally Bartosewicz finished in the top 25 in the 100-meters (17-18 years old).
• Taylor McCorkle, Bartosewicz, Lauren Wiles and Maria DeRenzo finished in the top 30 in the 4x100-meters (17-18 years old).