Manor Valley golf outing to benefit playground, scholarships, benevolent association
By Chris Foreman
Published: Wednesday, October 3, 2012, 9:29 p.m.
Updated: Thursday, October 4, 2012
Two Penn-Trafford alumni are teaming up for a fundraiser this weekend to benefit the Warrior Wonderland playground, Penn Township Police Benevolent Association and scholarships for Penn-Trafford students.
Jennifer Miele, vice president of marketing for the Excela Health hospital system, and Penn Township police Chief John Otto organized the golf tournament, which will be Sunday, at Manor Valley Golf Course.
Proceeds from the “PT in Action” fundraiser will be administered by Westmoreland Community Action, a Greensburg nonprofit organization.
“I think that if you've always had that ache in your heart, that nagging notion that this is a wonderful place to live and you don't know what to do to help, this is the perfect opportunity for you to help,” said Miele, a former television reporter.
Miele and Otto said they decided to include the playground at Penn Township Municipal Park among the event's beneficiaries after consulting with Penn Township commissioners.
Township officials spent about $32,000 on the playground this year to improve the drainage and replace the safety surfacing. The project was required for the playground to meet safety standards.
Meanwhile, the benevolent association helps to offer disaster relief to families affected by a storm or fire. Last year, the association gave a township woman $600 in retail-store gift cards after a fire destroyed her rented home on Route 130.
“I don't think a lot of communities have something like that, so I think it's important that we support that,” Miele said.
Otto, a former school resource officer, said it was important to him to raise money for scholarships, too.
“This community has been very good to me,” he said. “It's just an opportunity to give a little bit back from two people that are doing pretty well in their fields.”
Chris Foreman is a staff writer for Trib Total Media. He can be reached at 412-856-7400, ext. 8671, or firstname.lastname@example.org.
- Steelers rookie safety Thomas learning from Polamalu, Clark
- First-rounder McGuire expected to sign with Pirates on Tuesday
- BVA will refinance bond issue
- After all-conference year at St. Francis, Colligan gets to play St. Andrews
- Arrington thriving with post-NFL endeavors
- Pirates notebook: Mercer now the top option at shortstop
- Farmers and Merchants Bank moves into Freeport
- Deer’s visit could force changes at Apollo-Ridge High School
- Pilot of ultralight plane killed in crash
- Apple details requests for customers’ data
- Judge delays hearing in wild chase, theft case
You must be signed in to add comments
To comment, click the Sign in or sign up at the very top of this page.
Subscribe today! Click here for our subscription offers.