Date for Trafford's Memorial Park unveiling pushed to 2013
By Chris Foreman
Published: Wednesday, November 14, 2012, 8:53 p.m.
Updated: Thursday, November 15, 2012
A dedication for the renovated Trafford Memorial Park could happen during the borough's 2013 Memorial Day program, Trafford Mayor Rey Peduzzi said.
The volunteer committee that planned the project had hoped to complete the renovations by Veterans Day, but more work remains to finish the first of three possible phases at the Edgewood Avenue park, Peduzzi said.
The committee oversaw the restoration of several formerly weathered war memorials and the summer installation of a new monument related to the 9/11 terrorist attacks. The first phase has a $50,000 budget.
“We've been trying to do this without any government money, and so far, we've been successful,” Peduzzi said.
Group members want to plant new grass and 11 pear trees this month. When completed, cobblestone paving will provide a buffer between the greenery and the bases of the monuments, Peduzzi said.
“We're just going to wait until spring to do our final touch-ups,” he said.
Later phases might include an expansion of the flag plaza and improvements to the park gazebo.
Chris Foreman is a staff writer for Trib Total Media. He can be reached at 412-856-7400 ext. 8671 or email@example.com.
- Steelers’ Polamalu trim, fit as he arrives for OTAs
- Penguins Insider: Time is right for Jokinen’s return
- Steelers quarterback Roethlisberger likes the revamped offense
- Kovacevic: Pens improve under microscope
- Neal’s solid play soon could pay off on scoresheet for Penguins
- FBI: Man fatally shot in Boston bombing probe
- Sisters ejected from Pennsylvania mall for profane cancer hats
- Penguins notebook: Morrow leaves practice with injury
- Steelers notebook: Less talk, more work is Tomlin’s theme
- Peduto secures Democratic nomination for Pittsburgh mayor
- Pirates notebook: Penguins jerseys in fashion for road trip
You must be signed in to add comments
To comment, click the Sign in or sign up at the very top of this page.
Subscribe today! Click here for our subscription offers.