Penn-Trafford School Board reconsiders library funding
By Chris Foreman
Published: Wednesday, Sept. 11, 2013, 9:00 p.m.
The Trafford Community Public Library might lose out on some funding when the Penn-Trafford School Board decides how to award money to local libraries in the next budget, some board members said this week.
No decisions have been finalized, but board members are considering reallocating the $12,000 they traditionally have reserved for local libraries.
The discussion was spurred by board member Toni Ising's suggestion to provide funding to Manor Public Library, which is in the region she represents.
Though some children in Manor attend Penn-Trafford, the library hasn't received money in the past because it is located in the Hempfield Area School District.
“The big loser would be Trafford,” board President Jay Tray said. “There's no student population there, and it's barely staying alive.”
In recent years, the school board has given $8,000 to Penn Area Library and $4,000 to Trafford's library.
The school board approved the following hirings for fall and winter sports:
• James Brymn, assistant girls varsity basketball coach and Trafford Middle School eighth-grade basketball coach.
• Andy Chopp, assistant girls varsity softball coach.
• Monica Cox, varsity softball coach.
• Tammy King, assistant varsity softball coach.
• Lea Vannelli, seventh- and eighth-grade girls soccer coach.
• Jason Zimmer, assistant seventh- and eighth-grade girls soccer coach.
• Denise Hudak, volunteer girls tennis coach.
• Neil Kraynek, volunteer girls soccer coach.
Penn-Trafford alumni who are interested in participating in the homecoming parade on Oct. 4 should email Amy Kelly and Jen Haberberger at email@example.com.
The tentative schedule for the activities calls for alumni to line up in the Penn Township Municipal Park parking lot at 6 p.m. to participate in the 6:30 parade. A reception with light refreshments will follow in the Warrior Center.
The football game against Connellsville will start at 7:30 p.m.
Chris Foreman is a staff writer for Trib Total Media. He can be reached at 412-856-7400, ext. 8671, or firstname.lastname@example.org.
Show commenting policy
TribLive commenting policy
- ‘Huge shock’ from prevailing-wage cost for Penn-Trafford
- Penn-Trafford officials consider lobbying for restoration of PlanCon
- Franklin Regional tragedy prompts Penn-Trafford to review safety plans
- New Penn Twp. manager on tap
- Trafford sewer work to begin by early fall