Plum AARP preparing for its annual picnic in Boyce
The Plum AARP No. 3367 has planned its annual picnic for Aug. 13 at the Boyce Park Ski Lodge. Deadline for purchasing tickets at $15 each is July 31.
AARP members only may attend. No tickets will be sold at the door.
The event will feature bingo, games, buffet lunch and door prizes.
Brittany Cihal, a student at Clarion University, was awarded the National Broadcasting Society's student member of the year award at the NBS convention on March 23 in Washington, D.C.
Cihal, who will be a senior this fall, is a mass media communication and journalism major with a concentration in broadcasting.
Cihal, a 2010 Plum High School graduate, is set this fall to be the station manager of CU-TV at Clarion University. She also is president of the university's chapter of NBS, as well as a student task force leader on the organization's national level.
She has been inducted into the Society of Collegiate Journalists.
She also works in radio news at 91.7 WCUC “The Clutch.”
Overeaters Anonymous conducts meetings at 7 p.m. each Tuesday at St. Januarius Church, 1450 Renton Road in Plum.
Overeaters Anonymous is not a diet club. There are no fees, weigh-ins, questions or judgments, church officials said.
The only requirement for membership is the desire to stop eating compulsively.
Reservations are not required. For more information, call Sherry P. at 412-795-4897 or email firstname.lastname@example.org.
The PlumLine Nursery, 4151 Logans Ferry Road in Plum, has scheduled its ninth annual Customer Appreciation Day on July 27.
The day will include exhibits, presentations, music, free food and drinks, children's activities and Chinese auction.
Also, a landscaping package valued at $2,500 will be raffled off.
Contact the nursery at 724-327-6775 for more information.
Redeemer Lutheran School Summer Family Festival is scheduled from 4 to 8 p.m. July 19 at the Penn Hills campus, 700 Idaho Ave.
The event will include free games and activities including story time and a bounce house. The UPMC “Health Wheel” will provide health and nutrition information. Also, North Bessemer Fire Department volunteers will talk about fire safety. An obstacle course will be featured.
Food will be available to purchase.
Route 366 near the Drennen Road intersection in Plum will be reduced to one lane for a PennDOT project for the next month.
A temporary traffic signal will control traffic at the work zone.
The western end of Drennen Road also will be closed for the duration of the project.
Beginner Tai Chi for Arthritis and fibromyalgia is scheduled for 6:30 p.m. each Monday at the Unity Community Church, 215 Unity Center Road in Plum.
Cost is $36 for six classes. Credit cards are accepted. Contact Connie Ainsworth at 412-779-3600 to register.
Registration is being accepted for The Day Camp at Plum Creek, a Christian-based adventure day camp for elementary-aged children.
The camp that will run the weeks of July 8 and July 15 is conducted on the grounds of The Presbyterian Church of Plum Creek. There is no camp on July 4.
Register for the camp at www.daycampatplumcreek.org or call 412-793-4525.
Tai Chi by the Pool is scheduled at 6:30 p.m. every Tuesday and 10 a.m. on Saturdays at the Olympic Swim Club on Twin Oak Drive in Penn Hills. Contact Connie Ainsworth at 412-779-3600 to register.
Redeemer Lutheran School is registering students for the free half or full-day Pre-K Counts Preschool and the 3-year-old, 4-year-old and 4-5-year old half-day programs for the 2013-14 school year.
The school also continues to accept applications in K-12 classes at the Penn Hills campus.
Call the school at 412-793-5884 or visit the website at rlspittsburgh.org for more information.
The East Suburban Family YMCA on Route 286 in Plum is hosting a British soccer training camp during the weeks of July 8-12 and Aug. 12-16 at the Veterans Soccer Field, 4100 Sardis Road in Murrysville.
Each child will be coached by a member of the coaching staff of Challenger Sports British Soccer Camp.
The age groups, times and costs are as follows:
Ages 3-4 9-10am $80
Ages 5-6 10:15-11:45am $93
Ages 6-16 9am-noon or 1-4pm $122
Ages 8-16 9am-4pm $172
Teams are also welcome to attend and receive a week of focused instruction to prepare them for the fall season.
Each camper will receive a free camp T-shirt, soccer ball, giant soccer poster and an individual skills performance evaluation.
Also, any child who signs up online at least 45 days prior to camp will receive a genuine British soccer replica Jersey (value $39).
Space is limited. Parents are encouraged to register online in advance.
Redeemer Lutheran School is enrolling for preschool through high school.
For more information, visit the school's website at rlspittsburgh.org or call 412-793-5884.
• Tiny Tots story time Children ages 2 and 3 and a caregiver may join Plum Borough Community Library staff for stories, songs and a craft from 11 to 11:45 a.m. Tuesdays. Register in the program book. Space is limited.
• Tot Time story time Children ages 4 and 5 and a caregiver may join staff of the Plum Borough Community Library for stories, songs and a craft from 1 to 1:45 p.m. Tuesdays. Register in the program book. Space is limited.
• Circle of Stitchers Circle of Stitchers, an adult program at the Plum Borough Community Library meets the first and third Thursdays of each month from 10 a.m. to noon and from 6 to 8 p.m. Knitters, crocheters and stitchers are invited to meet and share techniques and resources. Contact Suzanne at the library at 412-798-7323 or email@example.com to register.
• Scrapbooking club Bring your supplies and photos for the scrapbooking class from 10 a.m. to 2:30 p.m. on the first and third Wednesdays of the month in the Plum Borough Community Library meeting room. For more information, contact Suzanne Teti at 412-798-7323.
• The Plum Senior Community Center is looking for people who are interested in a military family support group to discuss topics and share feelings with others who have family members or friends serving in the armed forces. Contact Melanie Parente at the center – 412-795-2330.
The following events are planned at the Plum Senior Community Center, 499 Center-New Texas Road:
• Blood pressure screenings are the first and third Wednesday of each month as well as every Thursday in the café.
• Beginner line dancing class on Thursdays from 10 to 11:30 a.m. The number of weeks has not been determined. The fee is $2 per class. Call Connie at 724-339-4180 or Judy at 724-325-3010 for more information.
• The gift shop at the senior community center is open from 11 a.m. to 1:30 p.m. Monday through Friday. The shop features seasonal items, homemade gifts and everyday gifts for reasonable prices.
• Café Plum is open to the public from 11 a.m. to 2 p.m. on weekdays. Call ahead for the menu of the day or to place an order for your group or business. Volunteers are needed in the café. Work includes helping with the preparation, cooking and serving of meals on Tuesdays, Wednesdays and Thursdays. Contact Toni at 412-793-2330, ext. 108.
• The Taste of Plum Cookbook is available at the center for $12 plus tax. The cookbook contains family-favorite recipes from center members and Plum residents.
• Zumba is scheduled at 10:30 a.m. on Saturdays. The cost is $7 per class or $20 a month. Call the center for details.
• The poetry café group meets at 1 p.m. on the first Monday of each month at the center. Call the center for more details.
• The crafting group meets at 9 a.m. on Wednesdays. Participants should bring their craft project to work on during the session.
The center is looking for certified Zumba, Zumba Gold, Zumbatronic, Jazzercise and bellydancing instructors. The center also is seeking those who would like to teach basic drawing or painting classes. Contact program Coordinator Melanie Parente at 412-795-2330.
Show commenting policy