Plum school board president sets committee assignments
Plum School Board President Sal Colella has gone the extra mile with his committee assignments.
In addition to naming his colleagues on the board as committee chairmen and members, Colella, appointed president during the Dec. 3 reorganization, provided a one-sentence directive.
The committee chairmen and members are as follows:
• Athletics — John St. Leger, chair; Loretta White and Tom McGough, members
• Facilities — Richard Zucco, chair; Michelle Stepnick and Joe Tommarello, members
• Food Service & Nutrition — Loretta White, chair; St. Leger and Kevin Dowdell, members
• Education — Michele Gallagher, chair; Tommarello and St. Leger, members
• Finance — Tom McGough, chair; Dowdell and Stepnick, members
• Personnel — Kevin Dowdell, chair; Gallagher and White, members
• Policy — Michelle Stepnick, chair; McGough and Zucco, members
• Transportation — Joe Tommarello, chair; Zucco and Gallagher, members
Colella said he expects committee members to not only keep up to date with their own work but also to be informed about the work of other committees.
“There are no walls,” Colella said. “No one is in a silo. I want a holistic approach to the school district.”
Colella gave the following directives to the committees:
• Athletics — “Get Plum back to the east.” Colella is referring to the school district's hopes to move from Quad-A Section 2 to Quad-A Section 3.
• Facilities — “Build a new (Holiday Park Elementary) school.”
• Food Service & Nutrition — “Meet the expectations of students.”
• Education — “Promote excellence for all students.”
• Finance — “Balance the budget.”
• Personnel — “Maintain excellent employees.”
• Policy — “Review and refine contemporary thoughts.”
• Transportation — “Continue the upgrade of the entire department.”
Gallagher said she looks forward to her work on the education committee and agrees with Colella's directive.
“Education is a big one, and I take it seriously,” Gallagher said. “There is a lot of work to be done. I want to promote the best education for students and everyone involved.”
Each committee meets monthly prior to the school board voting meeting that is conducted on the last Tuesday of each month.
Karen Zapf is a staff writer for Trib Total Media. She can be reached at 412-856-7400, ext. 8753, or email@example.com.
Show commenting policy
TribLive commenting policy
- Plum may move bus garage to former trucking site
- Former student returns as St. John’s teacher in Plum
- Soccer association willing to kick in for renovations at Larry Mills Park
- Plum library steps into shoe-recycling benefit program
- St. John’s school in Plum gets help for projects