Scotties Sports Roundup
Published: Wednesday, December 26, 2012, 8:56 p.m.
Updated: Thursday, January 17, 2013
The Southmoreland wrestling team ran into a buzz saw in the form of the Derry Area Trojans Dec. 19.
Derry Area (2-0) stormed to a 63-12 victory in a Section 2-AA (B) match. Notching wins for Southmoreland (0-2) were Tyler Lynch (106 pounds), who pinned Kyle Randall 1:16 into the match, and heavyweight Jake Beistel, who won by forfeit.
Southmoreland had a couple losses last week on the hardwood.
A Dec. 17 Section 3-AA contest went to Derry Area by a 46-20 score.
The Scotties dropped a nonsection affair Dec. 19 to Brownsville, 30-16. Marissa Boatright paced the Brownsville score sheet with 10 points.
Derry's mastery of Southmoreland sports teams was a theme for the week as the Trojans downed the Scotties, 72-42, in a Dec. 18 Section 3-AAA contest.
Derry jumped out to a 22-6 lead and never looked back. Andy Panizzi paced the Trojans with 15 points and Nick Clayton tallied 13. Jake Porter led Southmoreland with 12 points and Zac Black added 11.
— Paul Paterra
- Trip to Nickers and Neighs provides exercise, relaxation for Southmoreland Primary Center students
- Nichole’s Chic Boutique relocates to East Huntingdon
- Work planned at Scottdale’s Pittsburgh Street Park
- Southmoreland baseball team displays improvement, potential for more
- Southmoreland students test water in Greenlick Run
- Southmoreland sports roundup: Boys tennis season upended in WPIAL quarterfinals
- ‘Walk Now for Autism Speaks’ set for Sunday at Idlewild
- Buddy system aids readers at Southmoreland Primary Center
- Southmoreland baseball parents plan golf outing
You must be signed in to add comments
To comment, click the Sign in or sign up at the very top of this page.
Subscribe today! Click here for our subscription offers.