Mount Nebo Road Sheetz opens for business
Food made fast has made its way to Ohio Township.
Altoona-based Sheetz opened its 431st store at 11 a.m. Thursday at 1910 Mount Nebo Road in Ohio Township, just off Interstate 79, with a ribbon-cutting ceremony.
About 100 customers, several employees and elected officials from Sewickley Borough and Ohio Township awaited the opening with the first 50 guests in line receiving a $100 Sheetz gift card.
Following a brief ceremony, customers began pouring through the doors, with many ordering from Sheetz' iconic MTO — Made To Order — food and drink touch screen menus.
MTO is part of what has given Sheetz a cult-like following spanning several generations, Executive Vice President of Finance and Store Development Joe Sheetz said.
“Younger people like the fact that we always seem to have the newest products (and) the newest drinks,” he said. “Most of the younger people don't like to cook or can't cook. They like the fact that they can eat here and that we're open 24 hours a day, and you can get breakfast at midnight or get a cheesesteak at 10 in the morning — it doesn't matter.
“A lot of them get hooked on it when they're that age and as they grow, they use us differently. They use us for gasoline, they use it for fill-in food, morning coffee.
“They wake up one day and they've been using us for 30 years. That's kind of the life cycle of a customer of us.
Sheetz also made a $2,500 donation to the Special Olympics of Pennsylvania, as part of the grand opening festivities.
Since April, crews have worked to build the signature red structure.
It becomes the seventh local Sheetz location. Others include Moon, Baden, McCandless, Robinson, Ross and Pine.
The development of a 24-hour convenience store will be a boon to Ohio Township and the busy I-79 intersection, township Manager John Sullivan.
“That corner has always been prime (for development),” Sullivan said. “We're very happy. Sheetz has been wonderful to work with.”
Bobby Cherry is a staff writer for Trib Total Media. He can be reached at 412-324-1408 or email@example.com.
Add Bobby Cherry to your Google+ circles.
Show commenting policy
TribLive commenting policy
- Undersized Beachum quietly excels at 1 of game’s pivotal positions
- Steelers notebook: Polamalu, Taylor unlikely to play, Harrison ‘ready’
- Michigan State defensive coordinator a Pitt coaching candidate
- Pirates sign Corey Hart to 1-year deal
- Pitt: Football coach hire comes 1st, athletic director 2nd
- Penguins’ defensive depth proves valuable
- Hotel building boom sweeps Pittsburgh region
- Police gather in Ligonier for Perryopolis officer’s funeral
- Man involved with crash with officer dies in Pittsburgh hospital
- Penguins notebook: Kunitz ‘really close’ to return
- Giant Eagle Inc. appears to have settled ‘fuelperks!’ lawsuit