Sewickley Herald 2012 Man, Woman, Citizen of the Year named
Each year, the staff at the Sewickley Herald has the difficult task of deciding who to select as our Man, Woman and Citizen of the Year.
As evidenced by the number of nominations we've received, we know there is no shortage of people who do so much for the community and who are deserving of this award.
Thank you to all who took the time to nominate someone in the community to be awarded our 2012 Man, Woman and Citizen of the Year.
After much consideration, the Herald staff is pleased to announce this year's honorees.
• For his dedication and unwavering support of the Sewickley community, Doug Florey has been named the Sewickley Herald 2012 Man of the Year. He is executive director of the Laughlin Center and has spearheaded the Sewickley Nonprofit Consortium to give area organizations a place to pool ideas and have discussions.
• Maria Swanson has been selected as Woman of the Year.
The Sewickley resident has been active in several organizations in the area, including Sewickley Public Library, Girl Scouts, Sewickley Tree Commission, Quaker Valley Marching Band Parents and Trowel and Error Garden Club.
• Gary Chace has been named Citizen of the Year.
The Edgeworth resident has been known to “drop everything at a moment's notice” to volunteer at St. James Parish, Sweetwater Center for the Arts, Villa St. Joseph and Girls Hope in Baden. He also serves on the board at Heritage Valley.
In upcoming issues, the Sewickley Herald will feature stories detailing the lives and works of the honorees.
Then, join us in honoring them at the Edgeworth Club for our annual Sewickley Herald honors dinner on April 19.
The cost is $31.50 per person. The cash bar starts at 6 p.m.; dinner follows at 6:30 p.m.
The menu consists of spinach salad with strawberries, goat cheese, red onions and croutons, chicken fontinella, green beans with almonds, roasted garlic potatoes and burnt almond torte.
Reservations are required by April 12 to Debra Utterback at 412-324-1403 or firstname.lastname@example.org.
Checks can be mailed to Sewickley Herald Honors Dinner, 504 Beaver St., Sewickley, PA 15143
Checks should be make payable to Trib Total Media.
Show commenting policy
TribLive commenting policy
- Steelers offensive linemen looking to build on strong 2013 finish
- Liriano, Pirates beat Giants, inch closer to lead in NL Central
- Pleasant Hills Night Out attracts large crowd
- Starkey: Would one big move kill Pirates’ future?
- McKeesport councilman fined, given probation in gambling ring
- Strike remains possible for East Allegheny teachers
- Whitaker man to serve 2 life sentences for West Mifflin murders
- Pirates inquire about Red Sox LHP Lester
- Father, son killed in East Huntingdon crash
- PennDOT response fails to satisfy New Kensington’s safety concerns about Route 366
- Pirates think Mercer’s defense deserves more credit