‘Party’s over’ as iconic Sewickley business plans to close
By Bobby Cherry
Published: Tuesday, March 19, 2013, 4:48 p.m.
Updated: Thursday, March 21, 2013
An iconic Sewickley business soon will close its doors.
After 18 years of vibrant window displays filled with balloons and seasonal items, Party Ants, 424 Broad St., will close, store owners announced through banners placed in the window Tuesday morning.
“It's been a fun ride, but the party's over,” co-owner Ding Hays said Tuesday afternoon, while holding back tears.
She owns the store along with her sister, Robin.
Ding Hays said most of the small staff have been with Party Ants since it opened in 1995 when it began as primarily a party store with a modest selection of toys and gifts.
It later offered more toys, games, Pittsburgh-themed items and balloons.
Ding Hays said some customers have stopped in to share memories of the store after seeing signs in the window.
“My sister finally has accepted that I will be retiring at the same time as her — even though she's six years older,” Robin Hays said, smiling.
The Hays sisters said they were not sure when the final day of business would be.
Bobby Cherry is a staff writer for Trib Total Media. He can be reached at 412-324-1408 or firstname.lastname@example.org.
- Sewickley Council vote delayed on ‘pink house’
- Running Around: Making up for lost time at the dentist no walk in the park
- Quaker Valley board will use reserve to bridge budget gap
- Sewickley library exhibit celebrates the child inside grown men
- Photos: Quaker Valley prom offers night to remember
- Photos: Sewickley Unleashed not just for the dogs
- Pets set to take center stage in Sewickley
- Annual Nationality Days festival to be held Friday-Sunday in Ambridge
- Full weekend of Memorial Day activities planned in Sewickley
- Investigation continues into 2012 Sewickley restaurant fire
- Author’s first novel has Sewickley flair
You must be signed in to add comments
To comment, click the Sign in or sign up at the very top of this page.
Subscribe today! Click here for our subscription offers.