TribLIVE

| Neighborhoods

 
Larger text Larger text Smaller text Smaller text | Order Photo Reprints

Group continues efforts to stop Quaker Valley from buying homes

Email Newsletters

Click here to sign up for one of our email newsletters.

'American Coyotes' Series

Traveling by Jeep, boat and foot, Tribune-Review investigative reporter Carl Prine and photojournalist Justin Merriman covered nearly 2,000 miles over two months along the border with Mexico to report on coyotes — the human traffickers who bring illegal immigrants into the United States. Most are Americans working for money and/or drugs. This series reports how their operations have a major impact on life for residents and the environment along the border — and beyond.

Wednesday, April 10, 2013, 9:00 p.m.
 

Members of a grassroots group that hopes to get Quaker Valley School District officials to stop plans to buy three Leetsdale homes near the high school have raised nearly $5,000 toward a legal-defense fund, a group spokeswoman said.

“We need to be prepared in the event that the school board doesn't change its mind,” Concerned Taxpayers of Quaker Valley spokeswoman Beth Carroll said.

Group members have opposed the school board's purchase of two homes in 2012 at $400,000.

A third property — adjacent to the high school — remains privately owned. Homeowners previously have publicly stated offers for their four parcels are low.

School officials last year announced plans to purchase the three homes and demolish them to make way for a parking lot and bus lane.

“No decisions have been made regarding the creation of a bus lane or parking area,” Quaker Valley spokeswoman Tina Vojtko said.

No formal legal action against the district is planned, Carroll said, but in a March 28 full-page advertisement, members of the group asked taxpayers to contribute to a legal-defense fund “which may be needed to support future legal action,” the ad stated.

Group members don't have a financial goal, Carroll said.

After opposition from residents, school leaders created a traffic-study committee to discuss possible outcomes for student pickup and drop-off issues school officials say plague the high school.

Meetings are closed to the public.

Committee members have analyzed data from a $24,000 traffic study released last year.

“Four of the 18 members are from the Concerned Taxpayers' group,” Vojtko said.

Findings of the committee are expected to be released publicly “this spring,” she said.

Bobby Cherry is a staff writer for Trib Total Media. He can be reached at 412-324-1408 or rcherry@tribweb.com.

Add Bobby Cherry to your Google+ circles.

Subscribe today! Click here for our subscription offers.

 

 

 


Show commenting policy

Most-Read Sewickley

  1. 20 communities asked for input on Route 65 issues
  2. Nice play, Pirates — on and off the field
  3. Sewickley Academy grad shooting for the stars at Smithsonian
  4. Sewickley officials tackle rising odor
  5. Developer makes $1,724,000 deal for downtown Sewickley properties
  6. Water Works Road in Sewickley closed for months
  7. New Edgeworth principal brings experience, passion
  8. Sewickley Area Theater Company readies for ‘Oz’ production