'Lifeguard' movie with Sewickley Valley as backdrop debuts
By Bobby Cherry
Published: Tuesday, July 30, 2013, 11:39 a.m.
If you watch “The Lifeguard,” you might recognize some of the movie's backdrops.
Portions of the movie starring Kristen Bell were shot in July 2012 around the Sewickley Valley — including Sewickley's business district.
In the movie's trailer, the Citgo station at Beaver and Chestnut streets can be seen during a nighttime scene.
The movie was released today on iTunes and video on-demand. It will offer a limited theater run beginning Aug. 30.
The independent Focus World film details the life of nearly 30-year-old Leigh (played by Bell) who heads home to her family in the suburbs after her career and love life in New York City fall apart.
She snags her high school job as a condominium-complex lifeguard and heads down a questionable path.
In addition to “Veronica Mars” star Bell, “The Lifeguard” also stars Martin Starr — who starred in NBC's short-lived 1999-00 sitcom “Freaks and Geeks” — and Amy Madigan — whose acting credits include the 1989 film “Field of Dreams” and appeared in the 2002 film “The Laramie Project.”
Bobby Cherry is a staff writer for Trib Total Media. He can be reached at 412-324-1408 or firstname.lastname@example.org.
Show commenting policy
TribLive commenting policy
- Sewickley Light Up Night planned Friday: Events, detours, parking, more
- Wintry weather didn’t stop Sewickley Light Up Night
- Sewickley’s St. Paul Lutheran Church feeds homeless men — in body and spirit
- Moon couple discover new togetherness through ballroom dancing
- Sewickley garden club members top trays with cheer
- Union Aid gift-card drive could help hundreds
- Sewickley area dancers take stage in Pittsburgh Ballet’s ‘Nutcracker’
- Gas lines added to work planned in Edgeworth
- Edgeworth solar controls could protect emergency responders
- No hiding holiday spirit: Western Pa. homeowners light up the holidays