Crosswalks coming to Beaver Road in Glen Osborne
Work to create crosswalks and paint lines on Beaver Road began earlier this week.
Glen Osborne leaders plan to spend $13,000 on 12 crosswalks and painting lines for the roadway, Mayor Bill Boswell said. An additional $6,000 was spent on sidewalk ramps and curbs. Paving Beaver Road cost $230,000, Boswell said.
Crosswalks could have been costly, he said.
“If we had done the special brickwork — which all of us liked very much — it would have cost us $43,000 instead of $13,000,” Boswell said. “We'll use the savings for another project. We don't have the pedestrian traffic Sewickley does.”
Crosswalks will be located around McKown Lane, Osborne Lane, Orchard Street, Glen Mitchell and one near Osborne Elementary School.
With a smooth road, leaders anticipate some drivers will try exceeding the 25 mph posted limit and a 15 mph zone at the beginning and end of the school day.
“Most people will obey those speed limits,” Quaker Valley administrative services director Joe Marrone said. “But there are always those who don't, and that's why the police are there. It's all about the safety of this kids.”
Boswell said borough officials discussed installing speed humps in the road but decided against them for now so they first can determine the severity of the expected speeding situation.
Joanne Barron is a staff writer for Trib Total Media. She can be reached at 412-324-1406 or firstname.lastname@example.org.
Show commenting policy
TribLive commenting policy
- Sewickley Valley Girl Scouts adapt to digital cookie sales
- Retiring official taking love of Leetsdale with her
- Plan for former Sewickley Country Inn site approved
- Lane: Welcoming guests? Make it easy
- Repairs made to Sewickley stream
- Serafini: Recipe for family holiday fun falls short
- Generosity helps keep Sewickley area food banks’ shelves stocked
- Quaker Valley aims to inspire computational thinking
- Sewickley area performers take ‘Nutcracker’ stage
- Quaker Valley efforts find basic needs most wanted at Christmas