Fennell, Stahl propel Baldwin soccer team
TribLIVE Sports Videos
Did you know that?
• Lydia Fennell netted four goals and Alexa Stahl added three in the Baldwin girls' soccer team's recent 14-0 section win against Albert Gallatin?
The Lady Highlanders improved to 7-1 in Section 4-AAA, and 9-2 overall.
• Thomas Jefferson senior Allie Gennaula placed 14th at the WPIAL Class AAA girls' golf finals held at 3 Lakes Golf Course in Penn Hills earlier this week?
Gennaula shot a round of 42-47-89. The top seven finishers qualified for the PIAA Western Regional to be held on Oct. 24.
• The Baldwin boys' golf team plays its home matches at South Hills CountryClub?
“Home-course advantage is huge in golf,” Jim Stanko, the Highlanders' veteran head coach, said.
• Thomas Jefferson grads Zach DeCicco and Chris Heim combined for 10 tackles for Washington & Jefferson in the Presidents' 28-26 win against Bethany?
DeCicco, a senior defensive back, made six stops and broke up a pass, while Heim, a junior defensive lineman, recorded four tackles. DeCicco also recovered Bethany's onside kick attempt with less than one minute remaining in the fourth quarter.
• Seven players are two-way starters on the Thomas Jefferson football team?
They are WR/DB Zach Schademan, WR/DB Dalton Dietrich, WR/LB Colton Booher, WR/DB Jake Mascaro, TE/LB Derek Toboz, OL/LB Austin Boyd and OL/DL Matt Nagy.
Mascaro also is on the Jaguars' kickoff team, while Schademan and Booher return punts. Marcaro, Schademan, Booher and Dietrich are the “return men” on opposing kickoffs.
• The Baldwin boys' cross country team placed second at the 23-team Abe Everhart Invitational held recently in Uniontown?
Christian Labash paced the Highlanders with an eighth-place individual finish and 17:33.7 time. He was followed by teammates Mike McLaughlin, Dennis Doyle, George Kelly, Collin McLaughlin, Garrett Coyne and Jake Phillips.
• The Baldwin girls placed fourth at the Abe Everhart Invite?
Baldwin's leading runners consisted of Alexandra Barr, Ashley Czerniewski, Erica Koenig, Annie Chester, Stephanie Bott, Megan Varney and Maura Bacik.
• Thomas Jefferson's football team has outscored the opposition by a 97-0 overall margin in the first quarter this season?
• TJ head football coach Bill Cherpak and former major league pitcher Roger Clemens look alike?
• Kyle Simmons scored all three Brentwood goals in the Spartans' 3-2 nonsection win against South Allegheny last week?
• Brentwood and Chartiers-Houston have played in overtime games in football for the past two seasons?
The Spartans won both times by scores of 27-24 (in 2011) and 14-7 (in 2012).
• Luke Picchi netted four goals for the Baldwin boys' soccer team in a 5-1 section win against Trinity?
• TJ assistant football coach Pat Oster and Pittsburgh Steelers injured rookie offensive lineman David DeCastro look alike?
• Jake T. Prosser registered three goals for the Thomas Jefferson boys' soccer team in a 5-1 section win against Yough?
• The Baldwin girls' soccer team, behind junior goalkeeper Liz Spegar, posted seven shutouts in its first 10 games this season?
• Joe Carroll, a senior quarterback, Pat Hall, a senior center, Schademan and Booher served as team captains for Thomas Jefferson versus Albert Gallatin?
• Thomas Jefferson has won 51 of 52 football games at TJ Stadium since 2002?
The only team able to defeat the Jaguars on their home turf during that span was Gateway, a Class AAAA opponent, which won a 34-21 nonconference decision late in the 2004 regular season.
• The Baldwin and Thomas Jefferson football teams are playing in their homecoming games this Friday?
• Former TJ assistant football coach Tom McCafferty and “Burn Notice” star Jeffrey Donovan look alike?
• The Baldwin girls' varsity soccer team will host Thomas Jefferson at 7:30 p.m. in a nonsection match on Oct. 15?
• Senior Greg Stofanak is captain of the Baldwin boys' golf team this season?
Ray Fisher is a staff writer for Trib Total Media. He can be reached at 412-388-5820 or email@example.com.
Show commenting policy
TribLive commenting policy
You are solely responsible for your comments and by using TribLive.com you agree to our Terms of Service.
We moderate comments. Our goal is to provide substantive commentary for a general readership. By screening submissions, we provide a space where readers can share intelligent and informed commentary that enhances the quality of our news and information.
While most comments will be posted if they are on-topic and not abusive, moderating decisions are subjective. We will make them as carefully and consistently as we can. Because of the volume of reader comments, we cannot review individual moderation decisions with readers.
We value thoughtful comments representing a range of views that make their point quickly and politely. We make an effort to protect discussions from repeated comments either by the same reader or different readers.
We follow the same standards for taste as the daily newspaper. A few things we won't tolerate: personal attacks, obscenity, vulgarity, profanity (including expletives and letters followed by dashes), commercial promotion, impersonations, incoherence, proselytizing and SHOUTING. Don't include URLs to Web sites.
We do not edit comments. They are either approved or deleted. We reserve the right to edit a comment that is quoted or excerpted in an article. In this case, we may fix spelling and punctuation.
We welcome strong opinions and criticism of our work, but we don't want comments to become bogged down with discussions of our policies and we will moderate accordingly.
We appreciate it when readers and people quoted in articles or blog posts point out errors of fact or emphasis and will investigate all assertions. But these suggestions should be sent via e-mail. To avoid distracting other readers, we won't publish comments that suggest a correction. Instead, corrections will be made in a blog post or in an article.
- Liberian families in Western Pa. fret over Ebola virus outbreak
- Steelers’ Blake prefers secondary job
- Greensburg Central Catholic graduate returns as staffer
- Rivals try to block Uber, Lyft in Pittsburgh
- Eastern Derry VFD closes
- More charges filed against Monessen marijuana growers
- Spill closes Mon/Fayette Expressway
- Rise in pickup truck sales a good sign for economy
- Wiz Khalifa gets fans fired up for new album in First Niagara show
- Fix-a-flat a remedy in a pinch
- Fabregas: Physicians embrace fist bump over handshake in hospital