Fennell, Stahl propel Baldwin soccer team
By Ray Fisher
Published: Wednesday, October 3, 2012, 9:29 p.m.
Updated: Thursday, October 4, 2012
Did you know that?
• Lydia Fennell netted four goals and Alexa Stahl added three in the Baldwin girls' soccer team's recent 14-0 section win against Albert Gallatin?
The Lady Highlanders improved to 7-1 in Section 4-AAA, and 9-2 overall.
• Thomas Jefferson senior Allie Gennaula placed 14th at the WPIAL Class AAA girls' golf finals held at 3 Lakes Golf Course in Penn Hills earlier this week?
Gennaula shot a round of 42-47-89. The top seven finishers qualified for the PIAA Western Regional to be held on Oct. 24.
• The Baldwin boys' golf team plays its home matches at South Hills CountryClub?
“Home-course advantage is huge in golf,” Jim Stanko, the Highlanders' veteran head coach, said.
• Thomas Jefferson grads Zach DeCicco and Chris Heim combined for 10 tackles for Washington & Jefferson in the Presidents' 28-26 win against Bethany?
DeCicco, a senior defensive back, made six stops and broke up a pass, while Heim, a junior defensive lineman, recorded four tackles. DeCicco also recovered Bethany's onside kick attempt with less than one minute remaining in the fourth quarter.
• Seven players are two-way starters on the Thomas Jefferson football team?
They are WR/DB Zach Schademan, WR/DB Dalton Dietrich, WR/LB Colton Booher, WR/DB Jake Mascaro, TE/LB Derek Toboz, OL/LB Austin Boyd and OL/DL Matt Nagy.
Mascaro also is on the Jaguars' kickoff team, while Schademan and Booher return punts. Marcaro, Schademan, Booher and Dietrich are the “return men” on opposing kickoffs.
• The Baldwin boys' cross country team placed second at the 23-team Abe Everhart Invitational held recently in Uniontown?
Christian Labash paced the Highlanders with an eighth-place individual finish and 17:33.7 time. He was followed by teammates Mike McLaughlin, Dennis Doyle, George Kelly, Collin McLaughlin, Garrett Coyne and Jake Phillips.
• The Baldwin girls placed fourth at the Abe Everhart Invite?
Baldwin's leading runners consisted of Alexandra Barr, Ashley Czerniewski, Erica Koenig, Annie Chester, Stephanie Bott, Megan Varney and Maura Bacik.
• Thomas Jefferson's football team has outscored the opposition by a 97-0 overall margin in the first quarter this season?
• TJ head football coach Bill Cherpak and former major league pitcher Roger Clemens look alike?
• Kyle Simmons scored all three Brentwood goals in the Spartans' 3-2 nonsection win against South Allegheny last week?
• Brentwood and Chartiers-Houston have played in overtime games in football for the past two seasons?
The Spartans won both times by scores of 27-24 (in 2011) and 14-7 (in 2012).
• Luke Picchi netted four goals for the Baldwin boys' soccer team in a 5-1 section win against Trinity?
• TJ assistant football coach Pat Oster and Pittsburgh Steelers injured rookie offensive lineman David DeCastro look alike?
• Jake T. Prosser registered three goals for the Thomas Jefferson boys' soccer team in a 5-1 section win against Yough?
• The Baldwin girls' soccer team, behind junior goalkeeper Liz Spegar, posted seven shutouts in its first 10 games this season?
• Joe Carroll, a senior quarterback, Pat Hall, a senior center, Schademan and Booher served as team captains for Thomas Jefferson versus Albert Gallatin?
• Thomas Jefferson has won 51 of 52 football games at TJ Stadium since 2002?
The only team able to defeat the Jaguars on their home turf during that span was Gateway, a Class AAAA opponent, which won a 34-21 nonconference decision late in the 2004 regular season.
• The Baldwin and Thomas Jefferson football teams are playing in their homecoming games this Friday?
• Former TJ assistant football coach Tom McCafferty and “Burn Notice” star Jeffrey Donovan look alike?
• The Baldwin girls' varsity soccer team will host Thomas Jefferson at 7:30 p.m. in a nonsection match on Oct. 15?
• Senior Greg Stofanak is captain of the Baldwin boys' golf team this season?
Ray Fisher is a staff writer for Trib Total Media. He can be reached at 412-388-5820 or firstname.lastname@example.org.
- Kovacevic: It’s about time for these Penguins
- Steelers veteran outside linebacker Woodley: ‘I’m good to go’
- Steelers notebook: Slimmed-down Redman optimistic for 2013
- Senators on cusp of ouster against Penguins
- Penguins turn Game 4 into a blowout victory over the Senators
- Neal, Iginla get back on track to lead Penguins
- Steelers’ Miller watches, waits while teammates practice
- Pirates outfielder Snider certainly proving to be (big) hit
- Penguins notebook: Morrow sits; Bylsma changes lineup
- Starter Liriano impressive again as Pirates blank Cubs
- Pirates notebook: Morton could be back in early June
You must be signed in to add comments
To comment, click the Sign in or sign up at the very top of this page.
Subscribe today! Click here for our subscription offers.