Recount: Saccone wins 2nd term by 114 votes over Levdansky
Republican Rick Saccone will serve a second term as state representative, having won the District 39 seat by 114 votes, a recount confirms.
“I'm very pleased, obviously. We had 18 churches praying for us,” said Saccone, who beat Democrat David Levdansky in their second race against one another.
Levdansky could not be reached for comment. He was the 39th District representative for 25 years before Saccone ousted him two years ago by a 151-vote margin.
For a week, the close vote made the outcome of the Nov. 6 election unclear for Saccone, 54, of Elizabeth Township and Levdansky, 58, of Elizabeth.
In a recount of absentee and provisional ballots, officials in Allegheny and Washington counties found 14,486 votes for Saccone and 14,372 for Levdansky.
Results become official when county elections boards certify the votes.
Levdansky led in Allegheny County with 11,411 votes to Saccone's 11,101, said Mark Wolosik, elections manager. Saccone edged out his win with 3,385 votes in Washington County, where Levdansky received 2,961, said Larry Spahr, elections director.
Not included in the vote total are about 30 absentee and provisional ballots, which the Republican Committee of Allegheny County is challenging because the county received them after the Nov. 2 deadline. The number isn't enough to affect the outcome, though, Wolosik said.
The Board of Elections will hold hearings on Friday and Monday regarding the disputed ballots, he said.
Saccone said he campaigned hard to convince his constituents that he deserved another two years. About 76 percent of those living in the district are registered Democrats. “It's very hard for people to split their ticket,” Saccone said.
The district consists of Jefferson Hills, Elizabeth and West Elizabeth boroughs, Clairton and the townships of Elizabeth, Forward and South Park in Allegheny County; Carroll, Nottingham and Union townships and Finleyville and New Eagle boroughs in Washington County.
Laura Van Wert is a staff writer for Trib Total Media. She can be reached at 412-388-5814 or at email@example.com.
Show commenting policy
TribLive commenting policy
- Martin’s homer rescues Pirates in 4-2 victory over Brewers
- Turnpike plaza in Bedford Co. to close until Memorial Day
- Brown’s 7 TDs power Apollo-Ridge past Shady Side Academy
- Steelers notebook: Ravens DL fined for hit on Roethlisberger
- Sears to close store at Century III Mall in West Mifflin
- Fire damages apartments in Highland Park
- Connellsville stops host Hempfield, 34-26
- Gorman: For Berrys, football runs in family
- McGrath gains 259 yards, Deer Lakes holds off Burrell for 1st win
- Plum’s surge hands Norwin 1st loss, 23-14
- Moore hopes to see red (zone) in Steelers debut